Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 still having brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default 87 still having brake problem

I replaced very thing for the brakes all the way around, including master cyclinder, booster and proportioner. I'm not getting any fluid to the front right. Not even a gravity bleed. I pulled the line off the proportioner and blew air throught he line, and all seems ok. I bench bleed the MC so I know its fine. I am guessing it must be in the proportioner. I bleed the rear and front left with no problems. Is it possible to test a proportioner while it is on the vehicle?

My understanding is the pressure on the pedal determines if fluid is sent to the front brakes.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Are you using the old 'pump it up' and hold it method with 2 people? Try a cheap brake bleeder bottle, (much better, one person) where you stick the hose into the bleed screw and the other end in the partially filled bottle. That way you can get some pumping going on. Do the rear left first, then right, to get some pedal. Then the fronts. System is totally empty so you have some pumping to do.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 04-29-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

i have a motive product pressure bleeder, also used a hand held vacuum pump.

I found out it was in the new proportioner I purchased online from Carolina classic trucks. At first glance, it looks identical to the old one. But after blowing air through the intake ports the port for the front right was blocked. After I took off the rear adapter nut, for what ever reason, it was gasket sealed. I called the support phone number listed online and a recording says "it's better to send an email from our website and we'll get back to you within 48 hours, please don't leave a message". Go figure.

my old proportioner is still good. I bench checked it today, so I'm going to re-use it.

Thanks for the reply.