Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 died, fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 87 died, fuel pump?

Hi,
My son was driving the XJ ('87 4.0) today and it died. Said he all of a sudden had no power and engine quit. We did a little troubleshooting, just wanted a second opinion (or three!).

We have spark!

The engine starts and runs a little when starter fluid is sprayed in the intake, so I was thinking fuel supply.

- bypassed the ceramic ballast on the drivers side fenderwell, no change (thanks to other threads for that info!)
- fuel pump hums a little when the key is turned to the ON position, but not loud when we were under the truck staring at it.
- fuel manifold schrader valve releases no fuel when pushed after three or four on-off cycles with the key
- gas tank is full!
- fuel filter 2-300 miles old (when we bought the truck)

So, fuel pump?
If so, where should I get it (read in another thread that Autozone's were not good, and no Advanced Auto where we live)?
Also, a friend mentioned that maybe an inline fuel pump would be easier to install, and could suck right through the existing pump, any opinions on that?
Finally, if anyone knows of a great link for changing the pump, would appreciate it. (Will search more myself before this weekend's new project)

Thanks for the help, you guys are always great!!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If you have good voltage and ground at the pump connector then I'll second the failed pump idea. They really aren't that hard to change, just the connector and fuel lines to disconnect, knock the lock ring loose and pull the assembly out. Make sure the fuel level in the tank is below the hole the pump fits in to avoid a bath.
Instructions:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/fuel-pump.html

Looks like Autozone only carries Airtex and Spectra for that year, neither of which I'd bother with. The Airtex is troublesome- avoid it.
You have to special-order the Spectra and it isn't exactly cheap at AZ, may as well get something better elsewhere. Do you have any other parts stores nearby? NAPA?

If you are going to replace just the pump and not the entire assembly, you'll have to determine whether you have a Bosch or Walbro assembly installed. OEM used both. Rock Auto has a Carter replacement pump & strainer for either assembly for under $70. The pump is the same but the adapters to fit it in the housing are different.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

The inline pump idea- nah, not on a FI engine. Instead of sucking fuel through the failed pump, sometimes the bad pump presents enough of an obstruction where the outboard pump eventually sucks it's own intake line into partial collapse somewhere. It's the devil to find.
I'm not impressed with the longevity either, they don't sit in a nice cool tank of fuel. I run a holley electric back by the tank on a carb'd car, even at a pathetic 4 PSI they die in about 2 years. I just change it every spring, takes about 5 minutes, lol. They are convenient, that's for sure. Just not durable.

Last edited by Radi; 09-11-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Should check fuel pressure in line
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

To verify, you can put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood. The 87 4.0 engine needs approximately 31 psi to start and run.

I'm guessing you won't have that level of fuel pressure and because you already replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump itself is the primary suspect. Not that hard to do on your vintage. Yes, avoid Airtex!!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Thanks, we do have NAPA, but not Rock Auto in Las Vegas... Will give that a shot.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I got mine from Napa years ago, (same as yours), no issues. I didn't check what brand. Rockauto is only online, as far as I know anyway. Disconnect your battery and be careful not to make sparks tapping/hammering that lock ring loose. I forget if I had a piece of oak or what last time. Take your sweet time extracting the old! You gotta feel real gently, turn it this way and that to get the float and the filter screen out of that little hole. One last tip. If you can, spray and clean under there first. Everything falls right in your face! Have fun....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did mine. Bought the Carter pump from Rock Auto but should have bought the Bosch as that was what was in it. The Carter fits but I had to adapt to fit the Bosch parts. I'd check the fuel pressure. Mine would run for days ok and then it would only idle fine but not build enough pressure when you stepped on it. It made a loud noise as well when in the drive way idling. New one seems ok so far.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
If you have good voltage and ground at the pump connector then I'll second the failed pump idea. They really aren't that hard to change, just the connector and fuel lines to disconnect, knock the lock ring loose and pull the assembly out. Make sure the fuel level in the tank is below the hole the pump fits in to avoid a bath.
Instructions:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/fuel-pump.html

Looks like Autozone only carries Airtex and Spectra for that year, neither of which I'd bother with. The Airtex is troublesome- avoid it.
You have to special-order the Spectra and it isn't exactly cheap at AZ, may as well get something better elsewhere. Do you have any other parts stores nearby? NAPA?

If you are going to replace just the pump and not the entire assembly, you'll have to determine whether you have a Bosch or Walbro assembly installed. OEM used both. Rock Auto has a Carter replacement pump & strainer for either assembly for under $70. The pump is the same but the adapters to fit it in the housing are different.
Thanks for the Link!
Checked NAPA, and they show the Walbro P74057 for $85. the link lists the P74155, which is a Bosch from NAPA for $75.

Assuming they are both available, would either work, or do you have a preference?

Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lvcherokee
Thanks for the Link!
Checked NAPA, and they show the Walbro P74057 for $85. the link lists the P74155, which is a Bosch from NAPA for $75.

Assuming they are both available, would either work, or do you have a preference?

Thanks!!
Either one is fine.
If you have a local NAPA, pull the old pump assembly, bring it over and match it up. Or at least see if your current pump is Bosch or Walbro (should be marked) and get the same. That way you'll get the pump that fits your housing.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Napa has to order either one, so will take it out on Friday and see what I got.

thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM

So a new fuel pump did the trick, we are back up and running! Thanks for the advice.
The bad news is we ended up with an Airtex, but time and availability won out due to other vehicle problems. So far so good, will post again whether we have problems or not.

Trying to post a picture from the phone of the old pump, thinking it was original!!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 PM

Here's the picture, definitely the original fuel pump! What you cant see in this shot is the large cut on the bottom of the strainer. Think it probably sucked up a piece of rubber through the slit and messed up the pump.

Name:  2012-09-14 14.25.35.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  80.1 KB
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Glad you got her done! Well, even an aitrex might be right now and then....just like the stopped clock here.

If you, or someone else here has the time and inclination, I had a thought. That DC motor, (/generator if you drive it), will pump backwards if you reverse the polarity. Submersed in a bucket of clean water it might puke out the jam, maybe with a little help. Granted with that old thing......point is that maybe someone with a filter that fell off or or somehow it just got jammed, might save a $100 thing!
Attached Thumbnails 87 died, fuel pump?-101_0021.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Will give it a shot and post it here. May be next weekend though, my son and I are doing the VORE experience this weekend. Sounds cool and got a good deal on Groupon. Check it out at www.vore.com

Quick Reply: 87 died, fuel pump?