Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 Cherokee cuts off..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Cherokee cuts off..

I have a 87 Cherokee automatic that I just bought was running fine drove it from Saturday till this past Wed. Now she will start up but only with everything turned off (radio, headlights and heat) but once she starts up if I turn on the head lights or fog lights which are ran as a secondary light straight to battery and straight to a toggle not tapped into anything it cuts off automatically I tried with out the fogs hooked to the battery and same thing.. I also put jumpers on the Jeep and hooked it up to my car started the car then started the Jeep and it still cut off when I hit the low beams never got a chance to get to high beams... we also moved the black wire that goes into the ignition module and it ran better but we changed the metal piece the connects to the black wire and nothing.. the LEFT 3prong connector is the one I'm talking bout.. the middle of the connector is also a little bubbled from heat but I can't seam to find any where that sells the connector... also the Guy at advance told me if the ignitiin module was bad the bottom of it would be bubbled well I took it off last night and it looks fine no bubbling at all but then again I have seen bad parts that look good but are crapped out so idk... I also had my alternator tested and it came back good.. could it still be the ignition module? The battery maybe? Ignition coil? The wiring harness(connector I can't find any where)? Any help would be great cuz I'm totally lost in the dark on this one.
Thanks Brandon.