Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

86 Cherokee Hydrallic clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 86 Cherokee Hydrallic clutch problems

I have a 1986 Cherokee with a 2.5L engine. I have been having problems with the clutch hydrallic system since I purchased it used. It seems to lose the clutch pedal after sitting or even driving it on the open road. I go to engage the clutch and the pedal goes to the floor. I can pump it up a few time and the pressure returns. I have bled it a number of times and do seem to get a bit of air out of it sometimes. It does not leak any fluid from either end. The level in the master cylinder does not change when the pedal is depressed. I have replaced the master cylinder a number of times with a new one. They seem to work for a couple of days and then the problem reappears. Anyone out there that have experienced this or might have any suggestions Thanks Don
Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o
Cool clutch slave

I am guessing that if you have replaced the clutch master it should be ok. Probably need to replace the clutch slave cyl. If you see no evidence of leaking fluid then it is most likley losing pressure internally (leaking past the seals) Kind of a major job (i think the older ones are internal of the bellhousing) good luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captainwoot
I am guessing that if you have replaced the clutch master it should be ok. Probably need to replace the clutch slave cyl. If you see no evidence of leaking fluid then it is most likley losing pressure internally (leaking past the seals) Kind of a major job (i think the older ones are internal of the bellhousing) good luck!
The slave cylinder is on the exterior of the bell housing. There is no sign of leaking and the level in the master cylinder remains unchanged. Never had to add fluid. Thanks for your reply Don