Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'85 2.5L Timing question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default '85 2.5L Timing question.

Been searching but can't find what I am looking for even in my Haynes manual.

I followed the instructions to set the timing today, 12*BTDC with the vacuum advance off and the 3 wire connector to the vacuum controllers unplugged. Got it in the 12-14* range and all looked good. Thought I would check it out with the vacuum advance hooked back up, timing is at least 24*BTDC. Should it be that high at idle?

Before adjusting it was almost past the scale with advance removed so this is much better than it was, just want to make sure I don't have something wrong with the vacuum connections or something.

At least the beast is alive again, should get it transferred by next week and legal to take on the street for a test drive Just hope I can make it back to the house before something breaks lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L

Well I guess not many around these days that still work with the old school ignition systems

I had to do some digging and found an interesting article about ignition timing, not specific for a Jeep but good overall general theory. Seems you need quite a bit of advance at idle and cruise with less at full open throttle, kinda backwards of what I always imagined. Timing advance allows for the burn cycle to begin earlier when running lean such as at idle and cruise and to begin later when running rich such as when the accelerator pump dumps in more fuel.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dist...1-a-59033.html

Very interesting read, and applies to all engines even indirectly to ones with electronic controls. Different way of applying advance but the underlying principals are the same.