Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

6 years and starts first time though no heating!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 6 years and starts first time though no heating!

Hi,

I'm new to Cherokees - recently reserrected the old family Jeep (1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l Limited) which had been stood still without moving for over 6 years in our driveway. New battery and some petrol and starts first time! Have given it a service (new fluids/filters/brakes) and a thorough clean to get rid of the mould and you'd never know how long it had sat unloved.

anyway, couple of niggling problems to clear up - the priority is the heating (as its winter). Basically, there is very little airflow when the heater control is set to 'Heat' and the little there is is cold. The fan blows fine through all the vents in the other modes (although the air con needs some work - though not a priority right now) but shuts off nearly completely when on 'Heat'.

Listening to the control (engine off) I can hear the faint sound of hissing when the control is moved between settings (heat - vent - air con etc) so presummably the vacumm set-up is fine. Can't see any problems on the vacumm tubes coming out of the firewall but could be missing something.

Any ideas of where I should start looking for problems? Both water pipes going to the firewall are hot to touch and the heat control (in the engine bay) appears to be working fine (can see it open and shut when the heater **** is moved from hot to cold).

Thanks

Charlie
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you hear the blend door moving when you cycle the HVAC controls?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would I find the blend door?

I can hear some quiet hissing/vacuum type noises immediately behind the HVAC control when I move it.

I get good airflow on all settings except 'Heat' when barely anything comes out of the vents. No hot air at all.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's inside the core/evaporator housing.