Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wd stays engaged when shifted to 2hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4wd stays engaged when shifted to 2hi

Everything I've looked at so far from searching was people saying there's won't engage at all. Mine stays engaged when shifting out of 4 full time or 4 part time. I have the NP242 t case. I use the full time a lot now since there's snow on the road everyday. When it clears up I can still slightly hear my 4wd engaged and can tell the front wheels are still pulling. Sometimes I have to reverse for it to disengage, other times I have to go to neutral then back in drive. The other morning, it disengaged without me touching the shifter. At least it works but it's a pain sometimes to get it to release when I don't need it anymore. Anyone ideas in this issue?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

I think it just the way the 242 is made.I just switched to the 242 a few months back and sometimes it still feels like it takes a bit of driving to get it to disengage.

You say it just popped out of 4wd when you didnt even touch the lever so thats not good at all.I would think its got a broke shift fork or something if its changing on its own and the lever isnt moving.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

It's not unusual to need to back up to disengage 4WD. Not sure how it would be in a bind in full-time though.

I'm new to 242, not liking it much so far. No lights working and extra nutrals it seems. I'll get to that soon enough!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:35 PM

It's only disengaged on it's own once so far.

I guess I'm used to my 2011 F-150 that I can shift on the fly with no issues.

How is the system controlled? Is it though vacuum lines or solenoids? I just had a code pop up today that said it was a leak detection pump. Code was P1494. So not sure if even the system was controlled by vacuum lines that that'd be related.

Overall the 4wd works pretty well except when I try to take it out. And since it's acting this way, I'm not sure I'm actually in Full-time when I'm driving on the road.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

T/C fluid level and condition?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:57 PM

I checked it a couple weeks ago and it was still pinkish and was just able to get my pinky to touch the top of the fluid level. I was thinking about changing all the fluids in the t-case and diffs anyways cause I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done in a long time.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Shift it like it was intended to be shifted?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Shift it like it was intended to be shifted?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.
For the most part yes I do that. I let off the gas and shift straight through 4 part time into full time. Most of the time I shift it into full time before leaving the driveway while still stopped because my street doesn't get plowed at all. According to this, the vehicle needs to be moving for it to be CORRECTLY engaged? Could shifting it in while not moving be causing the issue?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Jooman07
For the most part yes I do that. I let off the gas and shift straight through 4 part time into full time. Most of the time I shift it into full time before leaving the driveway while still stopped because my street doesn't get plowed at all. According to this, the vehicle needs to be moving for it to be CORRECTLY engaged? Could shifting it in while not moving be causing the issue?
If you know it's gonna snow, shift it on the way home the night before......
Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Might be kinda hard but is there some way to tell, other than the indicator lights, whether I'm really in part time or full time? If there is a linkage issue and it's not actually going into full time, I don't want to mess anything up unknowingly.

Only ways to tell it is still engaged right now without spinning the tires in the snow is the steering feels tighter and I can hear the t-case when it is engaged. It's not loud but it's a distinct sound that tells me it's engaged.