Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wd noise concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4wd noise concern

Sorry for my lack of understanding about how 4wd works here, but I'm on a trip, the roads are icy & I'm trying to figure if i'll ruin my car by using it. Got a 96 Jeep Cherokee, 202,000. earlier this year a mechanic said i think that the front passenger side u-joint wasn't looking good. last time I used 4wd was last month, going up a gravelly hill. afraid I left it on on the pavement for a couple minutes (not going fast) & it was making a groaning noise. then there was a clunk, and the noise went away. have been driving fine ever since in 2wd, with sounds all normal. am I in danger of wrecking the axles or something if I try engaging the 4wd again now? till i can figure out what to do next? thnx
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I would just replace the axle end u-joints and probably the hubs while your at it. Not hard nor expensive...
Old 10-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

The popping and groaning sound that you heard was the 4wd disengaging after you pushed the lever down. In order for the 4wd to disengage you have to let off the gas and push the lever down then hit the gas again. It will come out if you just push the lever down but it is still driving both axles under load so it takes it a little longer if you don't let off the gas. As far as the ujoints in the axles they are not that hard to change. You don't even have to remove the hub to do it.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM

got it, thanks. the 4wd must've not disengaged immediately the day I heard all the noise. i'll assume that it's still usable, and get to the u-joint replacement in the front soon.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Year: 1999

How do you change the U-joints without taking the axles out? Just curious
Old 10-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ben Reilly
How do you change the U-joints without taking the axles out? Just curious
You don't.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014