Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wd engages, but front & rear diffs don't lock.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Unhappy 4wd engages, but front & rear diffs don't lock.

Hey, so I have a basically stock 92 cherokee laredo that I recently noticed the 4wd wasn't functioning properly. The front axle sends power to both wheels but allows them to "diff out." The rear doesn't lock in 4-hi or lo either.

I did find one hose under the hood that wasn't attached to anything coming from the engine air filter box.

As well as a hose coming right from/near the transfer case that wraps over the tranny to the passenger side. When I pulled it down a grey sludge dripped out

Anyways, they look like they might hook together but I'm doubting that. I'm also thinking I need to rebuild my transfer case if theres a bunch of crap sucked up in there.

I couldn't find a decent diagram of the vacuum system, but help from someone that knows what I'm talking about is appreciated
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Rarely do stock 4WD's come with locking differentials. Sometimes limited slip in the rear, but not the front.

To get locking you'll need to go after market at BIG $$$.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

4 whell drive is actually one front and one rear tire ,....
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Before it locked the front and rear diffs in 4wheel hi. In 4 lo it locked the front only. Please refrain from stating the obvious. I'm not an idiot and I wouldn't be asking if something wasn't messed up. If you read my original post you will see my main question is about the vacuum lines. Not about the diffs. The diffs aren't locking because of the lines.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM

I may be dead wrong though. I could just swear that's how I remember it.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Eugenedude
Before it locked the front and rear diffs in 4wheel hi. In 4 lo it locked the front only. Please refrain from stating the obvious. I'm not an idiot and I wouldn't be asking if something wasn't messed up. If you read my original post you will see my main question is about the vacuum lines. Not about the diffs. The diffs aren't locking because of the lines.
this sounds like transfercase issue all vacuuum lines do is lock front axle in .Got nothing to do with rear axle.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

[quote=Eugenedude;2299960]Before it locked the front and rear diffs in 4wheel hi. In 4 lo it locked the front only. Please refrain from stating the obvious. I'm not an idiot and I wouldn't be asking if something wasn't messed up. If you read my original post you will see my main question is about the vacuum lines. Not about the diffs. The diffs aren't locking because of the lines.[/quot.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

the line you found on case sounds like a vent line.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

As long as at least one front wheel and one rear wheel is pulling, theres nothing wrong with the 4 wheel drive. The diffs dont lock when you shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive, unless lockers have been added, and then they would be locked anyways, regardless of 2 or 4 wheel drive.
There are some vaccum lines coming off the transfer case, Im pretty sure they are just to engage the actuator in the front axle (if they do anything else, I dont know what they would do). And there should be a vent hose.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Eugenedude
I don't know dude, that is a little hostile for your second post. Communication is the key here, just a little FYI 4 low is "low" as in gear reduction (aprox. 3:1). The lines you described in your original post are:
1) Engine air filter box, is for the CCV.
2) Near T/C wraps over transmission, is a vent hose for the front differential.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

There's so much fail going on in this thread!

Your "Basically stock" Cherokee doesn't have lockers. Therefore when in 4 high or 4 low with all 4 tires off the ground you will only have 2 tires spinning. 1 front tire, & 1 back tire. This is controlled soly by the differentials & has nothing to do with your t-case. In order to get all 4 tires to spin you will need to by locking differentials for your front & or rear axle(s).
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM

My bad, I'm a noob. And just trying to figure out what the deal is. I guess maybe I just never noticed they didn't lock in 4hi-lo. My buddy who owned a cherokee was under the same impression that they where supposed to. Sorry if I ticked anyone off. I'm still concerned as to where they should hook up because I don't want water and sludge getting in my t/c. I'm already tempted to pull it apart and rebuild it. I replaced the flexplate/intake/manifold. So working on the t/c should be easy enough? I'd really like to hook things up the way theyre supposed to be so if anyone could tell me where to plug the t/c vent line that'd be great
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 ho

Theres a vent tube on top of trans an the other end runs up next to trans dip stick
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Now like others have said you could have a malfunctioning vac disconnect front axle, but even then you would have power to the left front wheel.

Check this out- http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...sconnect-1102/
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 ho

If the vac disco is in op its not goin to spin any tire up front power will take path of least resisrance

Quick Reply: 4wd engages, but front & rear diffs don't lock.