Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 inch budget lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL6
Default 4 inch budget lift

tired of riding through the woods stock, but i dont have much money for a lift. im not worried about all the fancy looks and stickers, i just want something to get me up (usually isnt hard to do). i have found some links online that show how to do it, this is the best ive found.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
i have a 96 sport, and was wondering also if it would look really odd with stock tires on it. i do plan on getting either 31s or 33s when i have the cash.
any suggestions on tires? i heard super swampers are about the best.
thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6
Default 4 inch budget lift

try it out and see, yea stock tires would look weird, also this really doesnt belong in the fab section
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

swampers are a very soft compound street use kills them i had bfg atr kos lasted 5 years on duds dodge still going strong
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

1. while budget used parts are nice i like the zone 3in kit because you get new springs shocks and an add a leaf for less then $300 before shipping http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=34&gr=-1 you'll be close to that with springs leaf packs and shocks from the junk yard.

2. for tires you can clear 33s on a 3in lift if your willing to cut your fenders up. 31s if your not.

3 tires, i had super swampers on my rig and they are good but far from the best out there. It really depends on what your doing offroad. The goodyear duratracks and BFG MT KM2s are both really nice tires that work great on the trail and wont kill you on the street.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Engine: 4.0

Do a search on this forum for budget boost, bastard packs and junk yard upgrades. There is a wealth of information on this forum, and you can do a whole lot of upgrades to your jeep for a reasonable amount of money with a u-pull it junk yard.

My entire jeep is done budget. I get a kick out of doing as many mods as possible from the boneyard, and there are a lot of em

If your jeep is stock and you are looking to save money, a good lift/tire set up is 3 inches with 31 inch tires. Generally 3" of lift can be done with shocks, bastard packs, coils, and a tranny case drop, maybe shackles, disco's etc. There are a lot of write ups here with things like brake extensions, steering upgrades track bar stuff etc. 3"/31" will also handle reasonably well on the road and on the trails and the 31's shouldnt rub on your fenders when you flex.

When you start to go above that you will really begin to run into issues that will exponentially increase the cost and decrease drivability of your ride. Stuff like death wobble, drive line angles, bump stops, fender trimming etc.

There are a lot of guys who have awesome rides with huge lifts that handle awesome. They are totally do able, they just cost a lot more money to do it right.

Tires are your choice, also a lot of write up on those as well, brand, size, etc.

I had 3 inches of lift and 215 tires for a while because they were almost new and I couldnt bring myself to buy new ones when my old ones were still good. It did look a little odd, but who cares.

Chuck