Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.5 rc flex

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Question 4.5 rc flex

i just installed a brandnew 4.5 rc lift and decided to test wheel it. i did not get much flex out of it at all, is that being just because it is a new lift and i have to let it settle in?
does anyone get good flex out of these kits?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI

Do you still have the sway bar in if so dissconect it or get quick dissconects that will help you alot with flexing off road
Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by el huberto
Do you still have the sway bar in if so dissconect it or get quick dissconects that will help you alot with flexing off road
dont have swaybar disconnects. they are the solid pieces that come with the kit. that pretty much answeres my own question almost. ill order some discos and see how big of a diffrence there is.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

dont waste ur money on discos there is a thread on here to make 7 dollar discos and they are just as good as the hundred dollar ones
Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

you also have to let the springs settle in. had a buddy with a RC lift and it was stiff and didn't flex much after a year of wheeling it. Disco's will help out
Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92

Agreed. Disco and a little time and I get a heck of a lot of flex out of mine now!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Year: 2000

What control arms did you get? I have the Xtreme kit with the X-Flex upper and lower arms. Mine can flex more than ive ever seen any short arm XJ flex. Of coarse this is with no rear sway bar and the swaybar disconnected up front. I have had mine installed for almost a year and the front is nice and flexy but the rear is still pretty stiff.

Also, get rid of the RC shocks! Mine ride like a war wagon. I will be going bilstein as soon as money allows!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

X2 on the shocks. Mine flexes pretty well up front with the sway bar discos. The rear has no sway bar but is still a little stiff after a year and a half
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87

I was gonna ask the same question because Im in the same position but you already did it for me.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 PM

hheh.. i have no rear sway bar and i cant tell the diffrence, i dont even notice its gone. altho i never really go over 45 cuz of DW. i got parts comein in for that but ill try to "make" discos or just r&i them all the time. i dont know if that would work the same but i figure i could just carry some tools anyways while im out wheelin.. as for new shocks.. i want to actualy see how these things ride. i know rcs arnt the best but i might be able to deal with them for a little while before spending money on new ones. what are good names for about 200$ or so.. anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87

This is probably a dumb question but its been puzzling me for awhile. When flexing in the front one tire is tucked all the way in the wheel well so what would be the point in disconnects if one wheel wont go any higher the other wheel cant go any lower right? Sorry if this sounds confusing.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jon_89
This is probably a dumb question but its been puzzling me for awhile. When flexing in the front one tire is tucked all the way in the wheel well so what would be the point in disconnects if one wheel wont go any higher the other wheel cant go any lower right? Sorry if this sounds confusing.
i dont get close to full flex and my tires wont get tucked under the wheel well because of the swaybar. discos allow you to get more flex then if your swaybar was connected with solid links like mine. the swaybar limits flexing for the use of onroad and highway driveing. when you try to flex with solid links, alot of pressure is put on the sway bar and not allowing it to flex as much.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by jon_89
The lower tire will always goes lower with the swaybar disconnected! Just try it.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92

Originally Posted by Allusion
i dont get close to full flex and my tires wont get tucked under the wheel well because of the swaybar. discos allow you to get more flex then if your swaybar was connected with solid links like mine. the swaybar limits flexing for the use of onroad and highway driveing. when you try to flex with solid links, alot of pressure is put on the sway bar and not allowing it to flex as much.
It allows the body to "sway" to the side of the lower tire, giving you more space for the higher tire to rise and the lower to fall. Thus keeping more tires on the ground.

Anyone have pics of flex with swaybar in and off so we can put this to bed?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by havensov
It allows the body to "sway" to the side of the lower tire, giving you more space for the higher tire to rise and the lower to fall. Thus keeping more tires on the ground.

Anyone have pics of flex with swaybar in and off so we can put this to bed?
lol.. had one but it wont upload..

Quick Reply: 4.5 rc flex