Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0L cutting out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.0L cutting out when hot

hello, ive got a 96 jeep cherokee sport 4L 5speed thats stock becides a lift and tires and i only use it for trails

anyways, after it runs for about an hour or so it will start cutting out really bad, it already has a new coil, cap plugs and wires.. it holds about 35 pounds of fuel pressure even when its cutting out and dying, but i hooked noid lights on the injectors and when it starts cutting out the lights become dim and sometimes dont flash

so my question is, what controls the injector circuit on these? because im thinking what ever it is may be getting hot and causing more resistance in the circuit

any help is appriciated thanks!-Willey
Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

the ecu controls the injectors... do you have a scanner buy any chance? and when was the last time you did a fuel injector cleaning(seafom or something like that)?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM

i do not have any sort of scan tool currently i should probably try to borrow one or something since that would be my best bet, but i dont believe its clogged injectors because it runs smooth up until that point and its definately the circuit thats the issue since the noid lights act up when plugged in..and im not a believer in seafoam and other injector cleaners since all it is is kerocene

but back to my question, the ecm directly controls the injectors? or are they run off a sensor such as a cam or crank sensor? i know fords injector circuits usually run off the cam shaft position sensor which gets a signal from the pcm