Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0L auto tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.0L auto tranny?

hey guys, my jeep is a 4.0 auto and im not sure if i should be concerned about it. i have noticed a couple times if i get stuck and let it roll back then try to go forward (steep inclines), i can smell something getting hot, smells like burning leaves a little, but if i look under the jeep i can see a little smoke coming out from around the tranny. on the street its fine, just seems to get too hot while im wheeling. are these trannies prone to heat problems, should i add a secondary cooler for trails? i checked the fluid doesent look burnt, although it was a touch low (it leaks) but i filled it and its still doing it. im thinking it might just be tranny fluid dripping on the exhaust. but if im in 4hi going up a hill the engine rpm doesent seem to match the tire speed, like its hangin on the converter a bit. anything i should check out? or add to it? thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hurculinedxj
hey guys, my jeep is a 4.0 auto and im not sure if i should be concerned about it. i have noticed a couple times if i get stuck and let it roll back then try to go forward (steep inclines), i can smell something getting hot, smells like burning leaves a little, but if i look under the jeep i can see a little smoke coming out from around the tranny. on the street its fine, just seems to get too hot while im wheeling. are these trannies prone to heat problems, should i add a secondary cooler for trails? i checked the fluid doesent look burnt, although it was a touch low (it leaks) but i filled it and its still doing it. im thinking it might just be tranny fluid dripping on the exhaust. but if im in 4hi going up a hill the engine rpm doesent seem to match the tire speed, like its hangin on the converter a bit. anything i should check out? or add to it? thanks guys.
the AW4's tend to get hot while wheeling. but, simply installing a remote transcooler in line with the radiator should fix the overheating problems.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i figured it was just getting a little warm, thanks for the help.