Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 fail after start then stops

Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0 fail after start then stops

Hi. My 1993 XJ 4.0 make me crazy... I start engine normally, good feeling... 25 seconds after, RPM going down with a heavy aspiration noise (with filter hose apart) then stops. Its repeats every time when you start, no matter how much time you wait to do it. I checked fuel pump and filter, MAP sensor too... The first time that it fails I was runnning normaly and suddenly has no gas response...

Last edited by caballogris; 10-22-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Curious, how did you check your pump and filter? I would see if you are getting a good pressure. When I had a similar issue I disconnected my gas line from the pump side of my filter then had someone turn the key to the on position. Pump turned on, spit gas out. I took off filter and replaced with new. I was uncertain on if the pump was working properly at this point because it wasn't a lot of gas. Also, old filter didn't seem blocked up to me. But once I installed new filter, voila! Couple cranks and it fired right up.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Mmmm... Pump its a new good unit, and I checked it. The filter looks to me good... I took it appart and blow through without dificulty... But its good to know that someone was the same symptom and the filter looks good too... I will buy one and change it tomorrow... Thank you very much!!!

Last edited by caballogris; 10-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Yup same blew threw it with no apparent difficulty but the new filter fixed the issue
Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 AM

OK, after a saturday of tests and search, my XJs fail is growing up in place of dissapear..
I bypass the fuel filter, test the car: 25 seconds running, then stops. OK, I think that the fuel pump could be stucked and gave me a good fuel pressure only when starts... I test it again and surprise!! No fuel pressure after start, but its OK ONLY at start moment...????
I check the feeding of fuel pump and noticed that only have it AT THE MOMENT TO START THE ENGINE. Engine running= no current at fuel pump!!! Also, I noticed that when engine stop after 25 seconds running, fuel pump works 1,5 seconds, then off again....
I know that all cars actually have a device to stop fuel pump current feeding when engine its not running or RPM are below 200 or so (depending of model and/or brand). We were looking and testing for every relay and any other device that could control this behavior and didn't find it. Then, I took a wire directly from IGN fuse box (inside the car, beside brake pedal) and hook up to pump positive and voila!! Its running perfectly.
OK, I know that is not a so safe procedure, because any accident that causes an engine stall, will let the pump running and feeding fuel... But I need the car and had to get out from my friend's garaje... So, the question is: where is that device?? Its like some kind of relay, or would be ECM who control that functioning?? have somebody this answer???

Last edited by caballogris; 10-22-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Question