Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3in lift, got it aligned, still getting death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: stock 4.0L I6
Default 3in lift, got it aligned, still getting death wobble

i ordered a 3in lift from rustys offroad, installed it and got it aligned but i still get death wobble at about 45 to 50mph. i was wondering why this is happening. btw the kit didnt come with lower control arms or a trac bar. do i need aftermarket lower control arms and a trac bar?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would say it sounds like u need a track bar. Get an adjustable one. With a three inch lift u usually dont need lower control arms. There is a right up on here somewhere on how to relocate your stock track bar to take care of the wobble if you dont wanna get another one. Just do a search it should come up.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

you pry need a trac bar. usually the first thing to wear out.

I had my jeep "quick-checked" by a professional (high country performance 4x4) and he didn't see anything wrong. He suggested I spend $45 to have them hook it up to computers to make sure everything was right.

I blew it off and eventually my death wobble has caused the track bar bracket to loosen. I tighten the track bar bracket and "quick-checked" it myself. I noticed the tie-rod end on the track bar was slightly 'popping' and moving in a circular motion(instead of just left and right like a wiggle) I ordered my rusty's trackbar and will post up an update as soon as I get it installed.

"quick-check" definition- unlock the steering wheel and have someone just rock the steering wheel back and forth(not turning, just rocking) and you look at all axle/steering connections for movement that seems 'odd'.

might help somebody, might not, worth a shot.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Year: 1993

Also check your u-joints in the front axle.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 9XJSPORT7
I would say it sounds like u need a track bar. Get an adjustable one. With a three inch lift u usually dont need lower control arms. There is a right up on here somewhere on how to relocate your stock track bar to take care of the wobble if you dont wanna get another one. Just do a search it should come up.
Fail #1. He doesn't necessarily need a track bar. My Jeep is on 31s and 3" of lift with stock LCAs and steering. It drives straight, true and solid as a rock all the way up to 100mph(afraid to take it faster for lack of sway bars). Death wobble is caused by wear in the steering components, mainly ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar bracket and anything else related to steering.

Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO

I had my jeep "quick-checked" by a professional (high country performance 4x4) and he didn't see anything wrong. He suggested I spend $45 to have them hook it up to computers to make sure everything was right.

I blew it off and eventually my death wobble has caused the track bar bracket to loosen. I tighten the track bar bracket and "quick-checked" it myself. I noticed the tie-rod end on the track bar was slightly 'popping' and moving in a circular motion(instead of just left and right like a wiggle) I ordered my rusty's trackbar and will post up an update as soon as I get it installed.

"quick-check" definition- unlock the steering wheel and have someone just rock the steering wheel back and forth(not turning, just rocking) and you look at all axle/steering connections for movement that seems 'odd'.

Better, but still off the mark.

Originally Posted by manimal
Also check your u-joints in the front
axle.
HOW THE HECK would u-joints cause death wobble? That makes absolutely zero sense.

now for my $0.02. You need to check every component on your front suspension related to steering. Make sure everything is tightened down, and that any joints that could go bad haven't(ball joints, TREs etc) if you find anything loose, tighten it down but first make sure the hole it bolts into isn't wallowed out(esspecially with the track bar mount on the frame). If you find bad ball joints or TREs replace them with OEM spec parts.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, cherokee forum is all about helping each other out, here's a link for you to do some reading on: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.html
Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 AM

Year: 1999

I had the same death wobble after installing a 3 inch lift on my cherokee. I installed a track bar relocation bracket and that solved the problem until one day....the bracket developed a crack and then broke while I was driving on the freeway. Since then I've gone to an adjustable track bar. IMO..the adjustable track bar is safer and better than using a relocation bracket, mainly because there are less parts in between the two anchor points. The adjustable bar will cost a bit more ($160 for mine) but that's cheaper than having an accident on the freeway. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mickeyyy; 12-18-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mickeyyy
I had the same death wobble after installing a 3 inch lift on my cherokee. I installed a track bar relocation bracket and that solved the problem until one day....the bracket developed a crack and then broke while I was driving on the freeway. Since then I've gone to an adjustable track bar. IMO..the adjustable track bar is safer and better than using a relocation bracket, mainly because there are less parts in between the two anchor points. The adjustable bar will cost a bit more ($160 for mine) but that's cheaper than having an accident on the freeway. Hope that helps.
Just because thats what caused your death wobble doesn't mean thats what's causing his. every vehicle has different issues, the things that are the same are how the steering is set-up. Thus you need to go over the whole steering system and make sure to tighten/replace anything that is lose or worn out.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The OP needs to do a search for DEATH WOBBLE and get his read on.

9XJSPORT7, 2.5TURBO, manimal,
You too!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: stock 4.0L I6

i have done my research... when i lifted my jeep 2 inches i got death wobble and fixed it by adjusting the toe in. i started this thread to get everyones two cents and see what seems to be the common fix.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

No, I don't think you did.

14 pages worth of info on this forum alone.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/search...earchid=604617
Showing results 1 to 25 of 343
Search took 0.23 seconds. Search: Keyword(s): Death, Wobble
Three pages of posts with Death Wobble in the title.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/search...earchid=604623
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

DEATH WOBBLE doesnt happen at certain speeds. Sounds like a speed vibration related to the new rear driveshaft angle

How does it steer? Does the steering wheel recenter after turning without your input?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Year: 2000

Edit: removed my post to spare some drama.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PingPong
DEATH WOBBLE doesnt happen at certain speeds. Sounds like a speed vibration related to the new rear driveshaft angle

How does it steer? Does the steering wheel recenter after turning without your input?
Not true. Death wobble can start at various speeds, not just from hitting a pothole or dead cat.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by theyoungun91
i have done my research... when i lifted my jeep 2 inches i got death wobble and fixed it by adjusting the toe in. i started this thread to get everyones two cents and see what seems to be the common fix.

Did you even read the link I posted? there is no "common" fix for death wobble, it can be caused by any number of things and sometimes its a combination of things. please USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Year: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9XJSPORT7

Fail #1. He doesn't necessarily need a track bar. My Jeep is on 31s and 3" of lift with stock LCAs and steering. It drives straight, true and solid as a rock all the way up to 100mph(afraid to take it faster for lack of sway bars). Death wobble is caused by wear in the steering components, mainly ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar bracket and anything else related to steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO

Better, but still off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal
Also check your u-joints in the front
axle.

HOW THE HECK would u-joints cause death wobble? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Well, I just replaced the axle u-joints in a friends MJ that had a VERY bad wobble and now it does not....? One had broken caps, the other was VERY tight. Maybe that's not the cause of "Death Wobble", but it sure fixed his problem.

Quick Reply: 3in lift, got it aligned, still getting death wobble