Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

35s and Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 35s and Stock?

I need to get some ATs for the coming months. I'm looking at 33s, which I could fit, I'd just need to trim and I'd be fine. I came across a for sale post for 4 like new BFGs 35'' with rims for $450. Rims aren't anything special, and the tread on the tires are fine. I've been searching this forum and whatever I found off Google. People were saying you should regear, some were saying they were fine for 6 months until they regeared. Others mentioned it'd be better to save the cash and use it to regear, but I don't know if I stumbled onto a decent deal or not. I also wouldn't be doing any wheeling with them, just using them to drive around, I'd throw my MTs on if I wanted to go out. I also know it'll bog my speed down quite a bit.. What are the real dangers of this? I'm also OK with the extra trimming I'd have to do.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Breakage of stock components. 35's are heavy. Its gunna handle and brake like crap not a good combo of things for winter driving scenarios. And your jeep will eat gas like its starving.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EastBeast
Breakage of stock components. 35's are heavy. Its gunna handle and brake like crap not a good combo of things for winter driving scenarios. And your jeep will eat gas like its starving.
Fair enough. I figured it'd do harm to something. Oh well. Would have been nice, lol. I'll keep on looking for 33s.

Thanks for finally clarifying this!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

im on 35's on stock gearing. does fine. cruise at 75 on freeway. you can feel them for sure but its totally doable. mpg sucks but not much worse than before. if you off road it hard you will break stuff for sure.

you hear alot of stuff said by people on this forum who have budget boost lifts and 31's just because they read it somewhere.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I still need to re gear but haven't yet. So its not terrible. Just down shifts on the interstate. Stock steering sucks. Also might want to add a steering box brace. Brakes aren't the greatest either. I don't drive mine much so most of the stuff I put off for a little bit
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

If I don't want to regear right away, what other little changes am I look at? Like the brakes, steering box, etc.

I mean if you guys are driving fine with them.. I don't see why I wouldn't. I just need tires for the rain and snow that's coming. I'm also fine with whatever MPG, since I didn't get my vehicle for it's miles to the gallon. Is it relatively safe then? For the vehicle and myself? lol

Would it help if I upload some pics of my axles?

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 10-20-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I still drove mine before I got everything. Just don't expect a cadillac lol
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nickell586
I still drove mine before I got everything. Just don't expect a cadillac lol
If I wanted anything close to a Cadillac, I wouldn't be driving a Jeep .

I just edited my previous post, but do you think it'd be worth it to upload some pics of my axles? Just to see if they'd be fine.

Did some more checking around here. Sounds like for me, all I'd have to do is trim properly and setup my bumpstops and I'd be fine. Although, someone was running a 4'' lift with 34s with factory bumps and was fine.

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 10-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

you hear alot of stuff said by people on this forum who have budget boost lifts and 31's just because they read it somewhere.
lols. Since I was the only other poster before that comment I am assuming you aimed your comment at me. I am almost certain of the fact that you sir, know nothing about me. So that was mighty nice of you to say. Anyways he asked for the real dangers of running 35's on a stock setup, not for personal experience. So that's what I told him, my opinion of it at any rate. Those things may not happen to him ever. Who knows. Obviously your opinion differs, which is fine. World would be boring if everyone thought like me. But keep in mind he is from Chicago, like 3 million peeps there, lotsa drivers, lotsa things can happen. You and I come from towns just over 100k peeps, makes for quite a bit tamer driving experience usually. You do him a disservice by not telling him everything. Jeeps aren't designed for 35's stock. They are going to put stress on the axles, gears, steering even just staying on the street. In a city of that many peeps he needs good brakes. Quick stops are usually dictated by others, not the driver. So 92XJGuy I would do some research, take in a bunch of stuff, weigh your personal pros and cons, and make your own decision.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I ran 35s on a 4.5" lift for awhile. I even wheeled it like that. Trim and bumpstop accordingly and you're fine. My biggest complaint was the power loss. You can definitly feel it. Gas mileage wasn't to much worse, I did break more with the 35s and it puts more stress on everything obviously.

And what the other guy said is true, you will hear alot of negative stuff from guys on BBs and 31s because they heard it somewhere. Not knocking all guys with BBs and 31s but after all, this is the internet. In the end, its all up to you. You will never know until you try and may regret it later. IMO, 35s are a whole new ball park. They are more work to make fit, require some beefing up of stuff, and there's just a ton of little stuff you will overlook like a stronger steering setup so you arent bending tierods, upgraded shafts, and trimming.

My 2 cents
Old 10-20-2011, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EastBeast
lols. Since I was the only other poster before that comment I am assuming you aimed your comment at me. I am almost certain of the fact that you sir, know nothing about me. So that was mighty nice of you to say. Anyways he asked for the real dangers of running 35's on a stock setup, not for personal experience. So that's what I told him, my opinion of it at any rate. Those things may not happen to him ever. Who knows. Obviously your opinion differs, which is fine. World would be boring if everyone thought like me. But keep in mind he is from Chicago, like 3 million peeps there, lotsa drivers, lotsa things can happen. You and I come from towns just over 100k peeps, makes for quite a bit tamer driving experience usually. You do him a disservice by not telling him everything. Jeeps aren't designed for 35's stock. They are going to put stress on the axles, gears, steering even just staying on the street. In a city of that many peeps he needs good brakes. Quick stops are usually dictated by others, not the driver. So 92XJGuy I would do some research, take in a bunch of stuff, weigh your personal pros and cons, and make your own decision.
Thanks for taking that into consideration. And you are right, I am downtown, lol. Most of my driving is city or highway going to the burbs. I really like how the 35s look on the Cherokees. I just have to do more research and see if it's worth it. I'm attaching pics of my axles btw.

Does this look stock to you guys? (Besides the front locker )

Front:
35s and Stock?-viesp.jpg

Only tag I found of the front (I'm assuming this is a Dana30?):
35s and Stock?-qchma.jpg

Rear (I couldn't find any identification on it):
35s and Stock?-uxd1i.jpg

And then front again just to see the actual front:
35s and Stock?-uerpk.jpg

Hopefully this helps a little..

Thanks guys
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Looks like an 8.25 and 30 combo should be fine with 35s. Just throwing it out there I have a heavy set of 33 bias plys that are heavier than the 35s you are looking at. I wheel the **** out of mine at least ones a month if not more often. Watch how you drive carry spare shafts when you wheel. Brakes and such need to be in top shape look at a junkyard disk conversion on the rear. Gearing wise I run stock gears and wish I had more on the freeway. If I keep my foot out of it and let it kick into OD I can pull off 15-18mpg with my bias ply swampers, with my radial 33s which are a lot lighter I could pull off 17-20mpg.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cdawall
Looks like an 8.25 and 30 combo should be fine with 35s. Just throwing it out there I have a heavy set of 33 bias plys that are heavier than the 35s you are looking at. I wheel the **** out of mine at least ones a month if not more often. Watch how you drive carry spare shafts when you wheel. Brakes and such need to be in top shape look at a junkyard disk conversion on the rear. Gearing wise I run stock gears and wish I had more on the freeway. If I keep my foot out of it and let it kick into OD I can pull off 15-18mpg with my bias ply swampers, with my radial 33s which are a lot lighter I could pull off 17-20mpg.
That's good to hear. If I don't plan on wheeling with them, would I be fine with just driving around, dealing with rain, snow, etc? I have MTs that I use for off roading. But I'm sliding all over the place in the rain. I'm fine with just ATs for driving. Would I have to modify or upgrade anything? Besides trimming and possible bump stops? Also, would my 4'' lift be fine?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy

That's good to hear. If I don't plan on wheeling with them, would I be fine with just driving around, dealing with rain, snow, etc? I have MTs that I use for off roading. But I'm sliding all over the place in the rain. I'm fine with just ATs for driving. Would I have to modify or upgrade anything? Besides trimming and possible bump stops? Also, would my 4'' lift be fine?

Thanks
4" should be fine with trimming and bumpstopping. Performance on the street with those bfgs will be just fine I would strongly suggest regearing. At least 4.10s recommend around 4.56s.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cdawall
4" should be fine with trimming and bumpstopping. Performance on the street with those bfgs will be just fine I would strongly suggest regearing. At least 4.10s recommend around 4.56s.
Yeah, that's the issue though. I don't want to regear right now, mainly because of the price. Since I found a pretty nice deal on these 35s, I figured I'd be fine for a little while. Right?

Quick Reply: 35s and Stock?