Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

3" inch lift axle shifted to driver side, help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 3" inch lift axle shifted to driver side, help?

I've been trying to install my 3" rough country AAL kit to my 1997 jeep cherokee, every seemed to be going alright. We took off the lower control arms, shocks, and coil springs. We then put the springs on, then the shocks, but then when we went to put the lower control arms on we noticed they were offset a lot. It looks like the axle has shifter to about 2 inches to the drivers side. Right now the springs are compressed, the shocks are off, and the lower control arms are off and we still can't find out how to shift the axle back to install the control arms and the rest of the lift. I have no idea what to do, any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

i have a grand cheroikee and that happend with mine to i didnt notice it until i was done so i just put it in revers and shook the wheel while going backwards it worked for me but i dont really know the right way to fix it
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Year: '99

It sounds like you need an adjustable track bar.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ozric762
It sounds like you need an adjustable track bar.
I was under the impression i didn't need one for just a 3 inch lift? If i took the track bar off do you think i could put the control arms back in? I don't see why the kit wouldn't come with an adjustable track bar if i need it to put it all back together.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rickybarth
i have a grand cheroikee and that happend with mine to i didnt notice it until i was done so i just put it in revers and shook the wheel while going backwards it worked for me but i dont really know the right way to fix it
the lower control arms don't even fit in the mount on the axle in order to screw them in so i wouldn't be able to even put the tires back on and drive it. It would seem like the axle would fall out
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=chrisonline1991;680260]the lower control arms don't even fit in the mount on the axle in order to screw them in so i wouldn't be able to even put the tires back on and drive it. It would seem like the axle would fall out [/QUWhy did you take the control arms off to put the springs in? I've done a few of these lifts and never had to remove the control arms.You may want to go to carparts.com and get one of the RC trac bars for $62.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Why did you take the control arms off to put the springs in? I've done a few of these lifts and never had to remove the control arms.You may want to go to carparts.com and get one of the RC trac bars for $62.
Not only did it say in the instructions to take the control arms off, i needed more clearence to get the springs in. I just don't understand how a trac bar would work. from what i can tell mine isn't bent, even if it was i'd have to move the axle in order for the new trac bar to line up right?

I've read a couple other places that you can use tow straps to move the axle around. But they usually talk about moving it forward not towards the passenger side. Anyone have any other suggestions.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Is the tracbar un bolted at the axle end?I would put the control arms back on and then start over,as long as the track bar is unbolted(at the axle) you should be fine getting it together,,Yes unbolt the track bar
Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

For 3in springs all you have to do is unbolt the shocks and sway bar.Jack one side up as far as you can and slide the old out and the new in.Same with the other side.No compressor needed or control arms removed.This works for any 3in coils very well.4.5in on up is another story.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by troy fritz
For 3in springs all you have to do is unbolt the shocks and sway bar.Jack one side up as far as you can and slide the old out and the new in.Same with the other side.No compressor needed or control arms removed.This works for any 3in coils very well.4.5in on up is another story.
X2 what Troy said,but if your having trouble getting those control arms bolted back up unbolting the track bar might make it easier to line em up,I didnt have to mess with the control arms when i did mine
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

you need a new trac bar, or need relocate yours
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Heres a link for a pretty good adjustable trac bar.
http://www.carparts.com/ROUGH-COUNTR...9840_10618.car
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Year: '99

For my Rusty's 3" lift the control arms never came off, but we did use a spring compressor. I did replace the trac bar with an adjustable rated for 2-3.5 in of lift. The trac bar locates the axle under the vehicle and is just too short with w 3" lift.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Redrill your trackbar hole on the axle over 3/4" and mount it up. It should take care of your problem, if you can't afford a new adjustable trackbar.

And also: Just because the instructions didn't say you would need it, and just because others haven't....doesn't mean you don't. Every Jeep is different and just because someone else didn't need it, you can't assume you won't.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by gpXJ
Redrill your trackbar hole on the axle over 3/4" and mount it up. It should take care of your problem, if you can't afford a new adjustable trackbar.

And also: Just because the instructions didn't say you would need it, and just because others haven't....doesn't mean you don't. Every Jeep is different and just because someone else didn't need it, you can't assume you won't.
X2
this is what i did for now and works fine.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 3" inch lift axle shifted to driver side, help?