Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2nd battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2nd battery

I wasn't sure if this should go in mod tech or OEM tech, but here it is anyways

So I replaced my battery a few weeks back, and the dude at the door said eh no core charge om not concerned....
So I have my old battery still, and I'm thinking/ wanting to do a 2nd bakery in the back for whatever the occasion may be- as a good backup or for quick power tool use. My question is can someone point me in the right direction of what all is entailed in this other then the battery switch (the 80 dollar ones to select between the two) and if there are any other modifications ill have to make to accomadate the 2nd battery

I don't plan on using it except for auxiliary use / a 2nd starting battery invade the 1st one goes, so I should just need a selector.and some 2 gauge right?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your also going to need an air tight box that vents outside the cab because the battery will release toxic fumes into the cab otherwise, but that's only if you going to have it in the back of your jeep. You could always remove the air box and put it there, there is a write up around the site somewhere. Do a search for dual batteries you should find what your looking for.

Oh and this would be mod tech, in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Parsnip
I wasn't sure if this should go in mod tech or OEM tech, but here it is anyways

So I replaced my battery a few weeks back, and the dude at the door said eh no core charge om not concerned....
So I have my old battery still, and I'm thinking/ wanting to do a 2nd bakery in the back for whatever the occasion may be- as a good backup or for quick power tool use. My question is can someone point me in the right direction of what all is entailed in this other then the battery switch (the 80 dollar ones to select between the two) and if there are any other modifications ill have to make to accomadate the 2nd battery

I don't plan on using it except for auxiliary use / a 2nd starting battery invade the 1st one goes, so I should just need a selector.and some 2 gauge right?

What are you gonna bake in the back of your Jeep?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by cruiser54
What are you gonna bake in the back of your Jeep?
DAMN! You beat me to it.
He must had added room on the back to build a bakery back there...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 - 2000

I put two in the trunk of my Chevelle and it helped the weight distribution. Other than that, it was not worth it. I ended up smoking the FEI ECU when I switched the switch to off while it was running. Buy one good battery and an ammeter/ volt meter.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Where did you put the first bakery?

Anyways, power tools? Do you have an inverter installed already? I'd say if the spare battery is actually good, just stores it. Keep it maintained (charged) and when you need it, it can be a spare. If it lasts that long.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieselD
Where did you put the first bakery?

Anyways, power tools? Do you have an inverter installed already? I'd say if the spare battery is actually good, just stores it. Keep it maintained (charged) and when you need it, it can be a spare. If it lasts that long.
haha im not sure where the bakery part of this came from...probably auto correct on my phone i use it more often for the forum then my computer...

but i have an inverter i am gonna buy from a friend, i used it during the christmas parade for the lights, and i just figured a 2nd battery could be useful for any situation...but at the same time, all you guys arguements for just keeping it in the back and not hooking it up are good thoughts...probably will end up just going that route and having some leads coming off it or something...

but all in all thanks guys
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM

haha im not sure where the bakery part of this came from...probably auto correct on my phone i use it more often for the forum then my computer...

but i have an inverter i am gonna buy from a friend, i used it during the christmas parade for the lights, and i just figured a 2nd battery could be useful for any situation...but at the same time, all you guys arguements for just keeping it in the back and not hooking it up are good thoughts...probably will end up just going that route and having some leads coming off it or something...

but all in all thanks guys
You could use a Little Suzie's E-Z bake oven and make fresh cookies to toss to the kids along the parade route!!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i just figured a 2nd battery could be useful for any situation
Unless you need the additional instantaneous current capacity it really won't do much. You're still limited by the alternator rating for continuous usage. A second battery just allows you to exceed that rating for a longer period of time before you're out of juice.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Unless you need the additional instantaneous current capacity it really won't do much. You're still limited by the alternator rating for continuous usage. A second battery just allows you to exceed that rating for a longer period of time before you're out of juice.
Thanks for snapping us back into reality. I had a great mental picture of the E-Z bake oven in the back of his XJ.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

Given that batteries are really heavy I tend to think it would not be worth hauling around the extra weight on the off-chance that you might maybe have a use for it some day. Put it on a shelf in the garage on a battery tender.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I had a great mental picture of the E-Z bake oven in the back of his XJ.

The cookies that come out of those are crap. Just FYI.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 PM

I remember!!