Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2002 GC Laredo fuel pump or cam sensor problem???

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2002 GC Laredo fuel pump or cam sensor problem???

Newbie here, thanks in advance for any help/info/advise you can offer me!!
Have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo that developed a starting problem. Last week it seemed to drag a bit when starting, battery 3 yrs old so replaced it. Drove it couple times that day all fine till about the 3rd engine start up. Cranked fine, turned over but didn’t catch, after about 4 attempts she fired up. All was ok for a week… then on the way back from an errand yesterday it stalled at a traffic light, cranked and started right up. Later it died right smack in the middle of a parking lot. No coaxing to start helped. Let it sit for a couple hours, went back and it fired right up. This morning I took it to a garage, cranked right up. No error light has come on.
Garage scanner/diagnostics indicated the cam sensor. So to the tune of 400 bucks she sits at the garage for repair. Research indicates this may not be the issue at all. Can anyone please offer experience/thoughts/expertise as to what is going on??
Thanks again for the forum, just found it and joined, will be back here many times I know. LOL, already have a couple other issues I would like to pick your brains about.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you believe your research more so than a diagnostic scanner, carry on. No CEL could be a burned out bulb or a PCM on it's way out but whatever.

BTW: theres nothing Grand about our Cherokees, may want to post your question here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the very RUDE reply.. AH
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Rhebel Lady
Newbie here, thanks in advance for any help/info/advise you can offer me!!
Have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo that developed a starting problem. Last week it seemed to drag a bit when starting, battery 3 yrs old so replaced it. Drove it couple times that day all fine till about the 3rd engine start up. Cranked fine, turned over but didn’t catch, after about 4 attempts she fired up. All was ok for a week… then on the way back from an errand yesterday it stalled at a traffic light, cranked and started right up. Later it died right smack in the middle of a parking lot. No coaxing to start helped. Let it sit for a couple hours, went back and it fired right up. This morning I took it to a garage, cranked right up. No error light has come on.
Garage scanner/diagnostics indicated the cam sensor. So to the tune of 400 bucks she sits at the garage for repair. Research indicates this may not be the issue at all. Can anyone please offer experience/thoughts/expertise as to what is going on??
Thanks again for the forum, just found it and joined, will be back here many times I know. LOL, already have a couple other issues I would like to pick your brains about.
I recently had a similar problem with my 03. Would sputter and stall with the problem going away after cool down. No CEL

Turned out to be the wiring harness from the PCM that runs along the firewall. It was shorting on the head bolt (stud) right where it runs between the firewall and motor and turns towards the fuel injectors on the driver side. Only takes a minute to run you're hand back there. Feel for the stud and then feel the harness in that same spot. If there's a hole in the wire loom, it'd be well worth flipping. the harness over and split it open. Check each wire for scunned insulation.

Also worthwhile would be checking the battery with am analyzer or load tester. If the battery is marginally weak it will cause fits with the sensor system.

Just a thought.

Last edited by bobvalli; 01-01-2013 at 09:12 AM.