Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 XJ Leak Detection Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 XJ Leak Detection Pump

I have had a rough idle for some time now along with very low RPM. Like 400. I have no check engine light. I have gone extensively through all of the vacuum lines with no findings of cracks or leaks. I was about to check the jeep into a shop to have a diagnostic done, however they were booked due to the holiday overflow. The guy started asking me if I had checked the EGR valve as jeeps are prone to sticking either open or close, causing rough idle conditions.

This being said, I do not believe my year has a EGR valve. I'm sure either the leak detection pump or the selaniod have replaced the valve or house the valve. Does anyone have some deeper understanding of the system or these parts in particular? Can I dissect either part and inspect the valve/diaphragm which is supposed to be opening and closing (apparently they get a bunch of build up and stick)? If the pump is faulty then would it prevent a code from throwing?

I have seen similar write ups on 98-01 models with similar issues but no one finishes the dang thread with a solution.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

A bad pump will throw a code. So will a leak. I had a evap code that turned out to be a loose elbow. Funny thing is code readers couldn't erase the code. I had to manually clear it.