Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 - Shaking and engine dies - iginition/injector problems? (Changed cam+crank PS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 - Shaking and engine dies - iginition/injector problems? (Changed cam+crank PS)

I had previously fixed my GF's jeep (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/200...unning-268128/) a few months ago that was dying, I changed the crankshaft position sensor and it seemed to be working since then. Today we had a new problem, it was mostly the same symptoms, except one big one, the jeep was stuttering and running rough and the engine was seeming more quiet than normal (not a good quiet), and the other initial symptoms were the same: loss of engine power (electronics were still on), power steering was gone and accelerator did not work. Got it pulled over, and had a pretty intense tow home, but its back here. The starter cranks but the engine does not start.

From what I read online, some people had problems with the camshaft position sensor, bought a new one and slapped that in today and with a blown fuse mentioned below, it seemed to work - for just a little.

Some other clues, I found a blown fuse in 'slot 18' in the engine bay - online mentions something about the ignition rail and injectors. I put a new fuse in, and it started up just fine. Drove about 50 yards, then it died. Fuse was blown again.

I had a scanner and it was code P0351 GENERIC Ignition coil A Primary/Secondary circuit.

Where should I start? Was swapping the camshaft useful at all, or can I go back to the old one? Where do I start with checking the injectors vs the ignition? I had previously replaced the fuel rail last year and cleaned the injectors; and I also changed the coil pack last year also. Are there any relays that might be going bad?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2023, 08:21 PM

Did some more testing today. Looked pretty thoroughly and didn't see and frayed or rubbed wires.

I did the following test, given that fuse 18 was blowing, someone in a different topic recommended using a test light and shaking things, I dont have a test light, but had a multimeter so wanted to see what the voltage did. The voltage showed zero without the key in, when I turned the key to power, the multimeter spiked up to around 9 before dropping back to zero. When I cranked, it stayed at zero, but after the crank spiked up again before dropping to zero.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I would try a new coils because you have a coil code and go from there .
Old 06-01-2023, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tech
I would try a new coils because you have a coil code and go from there .
While I get a new one going, two other questions, when I take the old one off would there be any clue to something going wrong if I look at the spark plugs?

I also took my asd relay off and tested it by hooking it up and it buzzes, I was expecting a solid on/off. I tried with the fan relay and it buzzed too, but I have had problems with it in the past. Is this typical if I direct wire them into the battery?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Because of the way the coils are made the only thing you can do is ohm the coils there are 3 coils .
Old 06-02-2023, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Because of the way the coils are made the only thing you can do is ohm the coils there are 3 coils .
I ran the test from here:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tes...l-rail-204328/

I was getting .6 on pin 1, and the other two pins were 1.2 and 1.4. Would an extra ohm there be enough to blow the fuse? I tried checking the 2nd part of the test, from pin 2 to the spark plugs and was not getting anything. No continunity, nor any resistance.

Last edited by Sword; 06-02-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

You can ohm the coils at the wiring plug just like you would ohm any other coils but I don't know what the specs. are but if you ohm it and one is different then the others then it is probably the bad coil .
Old 06-02-2023, 04:08 PM

Was doing some more electric testing.

According to that link the spark plug boots should be 15k. What is the correct way to test, I had the probe on the the 2 pin and tried every plug, tried every other pin and the plugs, and plugs to plugs and wasnt getting anything.

I am getting continuity from the asd relay to the fuse, and from the fuse to both the ignition rail plug, and also to the capacitor plug. I was trying to get a reading through the capacitor and was not getting anything, should I be?

Edit I hooked up the coil to the battery and ground the plug and cranked the starter, I was NOT getting spark at the first coil, but was getting it at the 2nd, so seemed conclusive something was going wrong with the coil.

Last edited by Sword; 06-05-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:10 AM

Well I got a new ignintion coil pack from this 'AA automotive' - unfortunately I see its made in china, prob why the last one died. But tried the sparkplug test and it sparks, I put it in and the jeep fired up. So I think its good to go now, but still really wary about the china rail.