Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Jeep Cherokee straight 6 200K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post 2001 Jeep Cherokee straight 6 200K miles

OK, need help again.
My in-laws have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with about 200K miles on it. Its just been sitting around, its 4wd so its used once in a while in the winter. Its been very neglected. Oil is black, Antifreeze is brownish. I want to tune it up, fuel, pcv and air filters too. Check all fluids and change some. I just did the front brakes, pads and rotors and flushed the brake fluid.
My niece that is staying with them is driving it to work and back and she just told me that it took a half tank of gas to get to work and back which is about 30 miles round trip, maybe a little more.

So I checked codes, Holy cow...There are so many, where to start. I'm thinking with O2 Sensors, but if they are all bad I am wondering where do the O2 sensors get their input?
Here are the codes I got:
P0443 EVAP emmision control system purge valve circuit malfunction
P0135 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
P0141 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2
P0301 Misfire 1 misfire detected
P0155 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 2 sensor 1
P0161 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 2 sensor 2
P0130 02 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
P0136 02 sensor circuit mailfunction bank 1 sensor 2
P0705 Transmission range sensor malfunction PRNDL input

Pending codes
P0705 Transmission range sensor malfunction PRNDL input
P0138 02 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2

I cleared all the codes and and without even starting it back up I immediately got the P0443 EVAP and the bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2 codes right away.

I also noticed in monitor mode that it shows 14% load without pushing on the gas pedal. I checked to make sure it was not stuck under the floor mat or something and even tried pulling up on it. Also I noticed that I can easily pull the keys out with the car running, I think that's the PRNDL switch problem, but then i started getting loss of communication so I was not able to write down the codes, but they were the same as above. I figured i would give it a rest and give you guys a go at it. I'm sure it will give me communication again later. Not worried about making it perfect or spending alot of money, its just for my niece to get back and forth to work. But if I have to pay to help her out I will. Her dad is actually an auto mechanic but they don't seem to care and have not helped at all in raising her, my in-laws did alot of that and her mom did. So I want to help her out however I can. I'm not exactly daddy worbucks either, I just help out friends and neighbors and do the right thing, pay it forward is all I can do. I got a little money I can throw into it if needed.

Thanks again for your help..

Thanks,
Ivan E.
Brrrr From MPLS MN
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Check the fuse for the oxygen sensors, it might be blown, causing all oxygen sensors to not work.

As for the transmission range sensor, it's possible it's not working. Did u shift in each gear and try starting it? Did the reverse lights come on when shifted in reverse? The neutral start switch (NSS) might need cleaning or replacing.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile fixed

Thanks for all the help.

I found fuse #10 missing with power on one side.
Put a 15amp fuse in and fixed it.
Cleared codes all good.

Check engine light back on again after 150 miles.
need to re-check again...

Thanks,
Ivan