Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Stalls when hot and will not restart for at least 30 mins

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2000 XJ Stalls when hot and will not restart for at least 30 mins

I have used this forum for the past few years to help me through some issues I have had with our 2000 Jeep XJ. So thanks in advance to all the individuals who post and help out the thousands like me who never login or contribute.
I have looked extensively on these threads and I tried positing to one as to not start a new thread about this but it never was posted. So I that is why I am starting this one.

A few months ago our XJ was having a tough time passing smog. I had cylinder 2 and 3 misfires and a transmission code for solenoid A. These were keeping me from getting a smog check for registration. Along the way the engine started consuming coolant. My son didn't keep a tab on it and ultimately the engine gave out and the head gasket was fully compromised. I am sure the engine got very very hot so I may have fried some components and hopefully not any wiring. After getting the head milled and checked the engine is now running very strong up until it gets to operating temp between 210-220 degrees. Once I hit that temp for say 10-15 mins the engine will buck, sputter and die. It happens in terrible locations on the road and it will do it even if I just let the jeep idle in the driveway. The faster the engine heats up the sooner it will do this. It takes about 30 mins typically for the jeep to finally restart. And it acts like noting ever happened. With this info here is what I have done:

Replaced:
CPS (Mopar,) Crank Sensor (Mopar,) Coolant Temp sensor (Mopar,) TPS (Borg Warner,) Remanufactured ECU ( was fried from overheat and wires on #1 fuel injector shorted it out and killed the unit,) #1 fuel injector wiring plug, Coil Pack (from junkyard XJ,) and ASD Relay (not OEM.)

I have checked fuel pressure and it is excellent when the car is running. When it does this little stall and wont start dance the fuel pressure drops to nothing and while I try to start it (whithin 5 or 10 mins) I turn on key and listen for fuel pump and I hear nothing.

I have two electrical plugs that I have wrapped with a thick electrical 3M tape to see if it will help offset any heat soak, but one is on the Crank Sensor and one on the Cam position sensor and both look charred and in need of replacement, but the connections seem good and secure with my tape job.

This has been a real troublesome issue and I have worked on this far longer than I would have ever imagined. but here I am asking for help. Once I find a fix I will certainly update everyone to this as it seems like I have ready quite a few accounts of similar problems on this forum and others as well.
Thank you all
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Common issues with the 2000 and 2001 XJ are heatsoak and the 0331 head.

The head had weak casting from the factory and will crack at random. If you've already had the head milled, I would assume it's been x-rayed and inspected for cracks.

Heatsoak issues will call for more than electrical tape to fix. The design of the "horsehoe" shaped intake came with it a little bit of a design flaw mainly under injector #3... the opening through the intake acted like a chimney, funnelling oven-like hot air straight up into injector 3 and the fuel rail itself causing the fuel to boil and the injector to mis-fire. The engineers knew about this and installed a heat shield from the factory to combat this problem. Over time, the heat shield breaks down and wasn't really an adequate fix to begin with. There are several kits available, one of which is the DEI heat soak fix available at quadratec among other sites

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17604_1031.htm

It offers more than just the OEM heat shield though. Includes a thermal "blanket" wrap for the fuel rail and the injectors themselves along with a new heat shield. It's a little pricey though, so you may be better off finding the OEM part# for the heat shield (good resource for that is moparpartsoverstock.com) and then looking for it on ebay or amazon... and finding some universal fit spark plug boot heat shielding.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Thank you for the detailed info on the heat soak and products to fix it. My XJ does not have the heat shield so I will be getting the kit you sent me a link on, and I will report back.
Appreciate this Basslicks!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Might want to start with just the heat shield. Reasons being. I own an '00. I do not have heat soak problems. I run the shield by itself. When I was doing a 4 hole injector upgrade, new valve cover gasket, grommets, etc I bought a new one. My old one was pretty beat up. Cost me $2.35 with tax. My Jeep dealership had it in stock. CBXCB060 is the part number. Now if this does not work and you buy the kit Basslicks told you about now you will have two of them.

Last edited by Ralph77; 10-09-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Hi Ralph 77 I had already placed the order from Quadratec. But I was interested in your option too. I called my local Jeep dealership and they said that part number was available, but they couldn't cross reference to the 2000 XJ. They said the price was just over $20. So I am out a little more, but I can eliminate heat soak of the fuel and surrounding parts. I hope it works and I am on my merry way with these parts. If not I will have to start looking at the wiring cluster going to the ECU and if they have wires that have been compromised due to the overheat.
I will keep you posted and thank you for reaching out!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Tkatz69
Thank you for the detailed info on the heat soak and products to fix it. My XJ does not have the heat shield so I will be getting the kit you sent me a link on, and I will report back.
Appreciate this Basslicks!

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Might want to start with just the heat shield. Reasons being. I own an '00. I do not have heat soak problems. I run the shield by itself. When I was doing a 4 hole injector upgrade, new valve cover gasket, grommets, etc I bought a new one. My old one was pretty beat up. Cost me $2.35 with tax. My Jeep dealership had it in stock. CBXCB060 is the part number. Now if this does not work and you buy the kit Basslicks told you about now you will have two of them.
Good to know Ralph. I've been toying with the idea of swapping out to the 99+ intake and have been worried about heat soak. 2 - 20 bucks for just the heat shield than 83 for that full kit.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkatz69
Hi Ralph 77 I had already placed the order from Quadratec. But I was interested in your option too. I called my local Jeep dealership and they said that part number was available, but they couldn't cross reference to the 2000 XJ. They said the price was just over $20. So I am out a little more, but I can eliminate heat soak of the fuel and surrounding parts. I hope it works and I am on my merry way with these parts. If not I will have to start looking at the wiring cluster going to the ECU and if they have wires that have been compromised due to the overheat.
I will keep you posted and thank you for reaching out!
Originally Posted by Basslicks

Good to know Ralph. I've been toying with the idea of swapping out to the 99+ intake and have been worried about heat soak. 2 - 20 bucks for just the heat shield than 83 for that full kit.
$20? WOW. Not going to lie I was surprised mine was so cheap and even more that they had one in stock. I just figured you would be able to get it for about the same price. Figured spend the couple bucks and if it did not work try the kit. The Jeep Dealership is a customer of the auto parts store I work at. I know they look out the best they can on pricing but......

With shipping looks like about $17

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ifold-cbxcb060
Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 PM

An update to my stalling Cherokee.
i received the fuel rail blanket and heat shield a few days ago. The fit and finish is great. I can now rule out vapor lock due to heat soak. This kit failed to remedy the problem. I have a suspition that the pcm I bought may be a problem. I got one from car computer exchange .com about 6 months ago due to a short from my #1 fuel injector wires being exposed and they touched and caused a short. The pcm has been working fine but the way the jeep stalls is so predictable. I bought the lifetime warranty with my original purchase of the pcm so I will work that angle. If not I will dig into wiring from either the camshaft and crank sensor. This is really all that is left I think.
what a real pain!
thank you for your posts and help.
I will keep you in the loop until I find my problem.