Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 xj rough idle/ticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 xj rough idle/ticking

Ok so here is my DUH!! moment
I ran my xj out of fuel. I guess when you are running low on fuel it tends to run lean and overheat. After playing with it for a while I got it running but it runs rough and sounds like a misfire. I put in new plugs gapped at .035 like I was supposed to. The check engine light is on. It has a ticking noise like a lifter is not pumping up. It runs rough like a misfire.
I dont have a dist or cap/rotor/wires since it the new version ignition.

I have run the seafoam additive in the tank and the crankcase to try and clean things up a bit.
I have pulled the wires off the injectors one at a time. #2 seems to have no change when I take the wire off. All the others the engine will change idle when they are disconnected. I am running blind since I do not have access to a code reader.

Any suggestions??? could a stuck injector be causing this heartache? I have no issues with upgrading them if that is the general feeling. I have about 140xxx miles on her and love her to death but Im at a point I am ready to pour gas over her and set her a blaze.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a place to start without a code reader??
Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Did it overheat? http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=391831 This link is a must read. For the check engine light the big box auto parts stores will test the codes for free. Any suggestions with out knowing the codes, are guesses, and throwing parts at it is not how you want to proceed.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

well i would test the #2 for spark and fuel. pull the wire off the plug and stick a screw driver (or spare spark plug) in it and have someone try to start the engine. look for spark. then take a screwdriver (while the engine is running, with the spark plug wire connnected) and place the tip on the fuel injector and the handle to your ear. you are listening to a ticking noise, that way you know it is working
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Thank you for the article on the head problem. I have 147xxx on my XK and I guess the problem was hiding just well enough that I couldnt find it until I knew where to look. The head is cracked, but also allowing coolant to leak into the upper valve train and messing up my lifters so either I replace the head and hope no coolant made it into the main bearings or I move on to another project...which is most likely what I will be doing.
Thank you all for the assistance. This forum is AWESOME