Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ o2 sensor connector bracket location

Old 12-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2000 XJ o2 sensor connector bracket location

Hi all,

2000 XJ 4.0L, non-cali emissions

I had the engine and exhaust all out and I'm putting everything back in now. I don't have cali emissions so it only has two O2 sensors, one by the bellhousing and one back behind the cat.

There's a metal bracket that holds the front (upstream) O2 sensor connector, but I'm not sure where it bolts up anymore. I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow, but it sits on the drivers side where the exhaust passes by the transmission bellhousing. I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as it is secure and there's enough slack in the harness, but I can't seem to find a pic of a stock setup.

If anyone has an idea of where it goes that would be great!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

I dont know if its a metal or plastic clip but there a couple pics on Google showing the o2 sensor wiring held up by an oil pan stud. Looks factory, but my 97 doesnt have it.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000

Thanks for the reply fb97xj1, I do actually have that plastic piece you are referring to that presses onto an oil pan stud.

But the bracket I'm talking about it further back by the bellhousing. I'm pretty sure I figured out where it goes. It's about a 3-inch wide metal bracket that holds the O2 sensor connector AND the crank sensor connector. If you look at the drivers side of the trans there's what I believe is the shifter cable coming out of the firewall and into the trans. That cable has a bracket that bolts to the trans with 2 bolts; the bracket I'm talking about for the O2 sensor connector bolts up in the same place using the top bolt. This is super confusing, but I'll take a picture for reference now that I have it hooked up. I'm not entirely sure why I unbolted it in the first place.

EDIT: this is the only pic from Google that shows what I'm talking about, this is the shifter cable/bracket on the driver's side of the trans:

The red circle is where the O2 sensor connector bracket I'm talking about bolts up to.

Last edited by t.mcginley.jr; 12-12-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

My 97 doesnt have that one either, just the one pictured for that cable. The only other bracket i can think of is the one just under the MAP sensor, that bolts to the intake manifold, for the fuel rail. Triangular at one end, squared off on the other. Post a pic of what you have. My O2 was ziptied to the fuel line by the previous owner so im curious as to what mine may be missing.