Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 XJ, couple questions

Hello all,

New member, been lurking for a while. I recently picked up a project jeep, drove it for the first time the other day and have a few issues. I have a small coolant leak from both heater hoses where they attach to the heater core, but only after I shut the jeep off hot. Is this a common spot for the core to fail, or is the hot coolant just forcing past the hose clamps as the temp rises for a few minutes?

Second, I can hear the blinker/flasher relay clicking at random times, and can make it go nuts by fiddling with the lever. Blinkers don't actually blink when this happens, and work fine when I use them. Thoughts?

Finally, I have a whine from the rear end, changed the diff. oil, proper level, same whine. Pitch changes when I load/unload the driveshaft. Pinion bearing?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990

i would start with the hoses and clamps first and for the rear noise its hard to find one with out a wine!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

I do things by the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Remove the hoses at the core and look at them. There could be corrosion built up between the hoses and core inlet/outlet causing the issue. It could be loose clamps or the hoses themselves perforating and weakening. Go with that first unless when you take the hoses off, you see corrosion damage to the core pipes themselves.

The signal relay issue is most likely the switch heading south. I'd replace it before it fails completely, probably happening when you need to turn right in front of a highway patrolman. If you are doing the repair, be careful of the airbag while removing the steering wheel. If you are not careful, it is possible (and has happened) to activate the airbag by creating a short and having it go off in your face.

I'd start with the pinion gear and look at the bearings in the axle case also. Check the axle races for damage which would signify bad axle bearings. Usually, when this happens, you get more of a grinding than a whine, but still worth checking while you are in there.