Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 two wheel drive. Over heats and no power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 two wheel drive. Over heats and no power.

I am having a problem with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I am not losing coolant but I am having and over heating problem and power issues. I have flushed the system, replaced the water pump, hoses, thermostat, electric fan and fan shroud. It was still running around 210 and stopped at any red light is will move up to 220 and the fan will come on. The temp will go on up until you move. Also when it gets up to those temps it loses power. It does not even want to climb a hill from a stop and will drop down in speed on the highway and will shift out of overdrive to climb any kind of hill, and starts spitting and sputtering. Any help would be great. Thanks Also I have since removed the thermostat and nothing has changed.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

for the over heating issue - sounds like you might need to replace the fan clutch.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mikesignal
for the over heating issue - sounds like you might need to replace the fan clutch.
Does yours do this:

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Are there any diagnosis codes? Is the CEL on?

Do a compression test.

Did you replace the radiator too? What's the coolant and passages look like, are they rusty? Look behind the thermostat

Check these signs of a blown head gasket that could be causing your coolant to get super hot as well as poor performance:
  • coolant in oil (foamy, milky substance found under valve cover)
  • oil in coolant
  • air bubbles in coolant - take the rad cap off (cold engine), start the engine and see if big air bubbles or lots of little bubbles are bursting out of the coolant
  • white exhaust smoke
  • combustion gases in coolant - rent the tool from advance/autozone/oreillys
  • pressure leak in the cooling system - rent the tool from advance/autozone/oreillys

A lean condition will also cause overheating and bad performance at the same time. Pull the spark plugs (do at the same time you're checking the compression) and look at their condition, are they tan like they should be or are they chalky white? An OBDII scan tool can also tell you the air/fuel mixture if your XJ is 96+.

Do a full tune-up if you haven't already.

Last edited by mannydantyla; 03-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelton Singletary
I am having a problem with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I am not losing coolant but I am having and over heating problem and power issues. I have flushed the system, replaced the water pump, hoses, thermostat, electric fan and fan shroud. It was still running around 210 and stopped at any red light is will move up to 220 and the fan will come on. The temp will go on up until you move. Also when it gets up to those temps it loses power. It does not even want to climb a hill from a stop and will drop down in speed on the highway and will shift out of overdrive to climb any kind of hill, and starts spitting and sputtering. Any help would be great. Thanks Also I have since removed the thermostat and nothing has changed.
I chased the heating gremlin through my entire cooling system and the problem did not vanish until I replaced the radiator, which was the very last element I r&r ed. But I do have all new cooling system and It works perfectly.. for now. I wonder if the op has 2 issues or one causing both symptoms??
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 PM

I changed the Fan Clutch. It does not over heat as fast but it still goes up to 220 and the fan comes on. It also is losing power. I was told the other day to put the thermostat back in.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Shelton Singletary
I changed the Fan Clutch. It does not over heat as fast but it still goes up to 220 and the fan comes on. It also is losing power. I was told the other day to put the thermostat back in.
Yes. Put the thermostat back in. Without that in there the coolant wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool it.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM

The purpose of this essay is to provide the solutions I have discovered for overheating issues The great thing is that the majority of things can be accomplished by a patient DIYer like me You can probably locate the cause of your overheating and resolve it on your own almost certainly research paper paragraph structure Effective paragraph construction is crucial for all writing assignments especially academic papers.