Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 cherokee sport 4.0

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 cherokee sport 4.0

Trying to torque down my rocker arms but can't because two pistons are always up, and one know the pattern or sequence to do this in? I down want to bend or break a rod
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

If the lifers and rods are installed correctly it's hard to mess this up. Just be sure everything is seated properly, it won't matter where the pistions (or cam actually) is because the springs will compress. It's only if you don't have the rods in the correct place that there could be a problem. As far as I know there is no "order" to installing the rockers.

I don't believe the 4.0 is an interference motor, valves won't hit the pistions. Are you just doing the head work? If you haven't taken the timing set off then the crank should be timed with the cam anyways.

Last edited by Cherockee; 01-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by rich.romano93
Trying to torque down my rocker arms but can't because two pistons are always up, and one know the pattern or sequence to do this in? I down want to bend or break a rod
What he said and.. from the FSM
INSTALLATION
(1) Lubricate the ball ends of the push rods with Mopar Engine Oil Supplement, or equivalent and install push rods in their original locations. Ensure that the bottom end of each push rod is centered in the tappet plunger cap seat.
(2) Using Mopar Engine Oil Supplement, or equivalent, lubricate the area of the rocker arm that the pivot contacts. Install rocker arms, pivots and bridge above each cylinder in their originally position.
(3) Loosely install the capscrews through each bridge.
(4) At each bridge, tighten the capscrews alternately, one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the bridge. Tighten the capscrews to 28 NIm (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
(5) Install the engine cylinder head cover.