Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cherokee - Neutral Safety Switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Cherokee - Neutral Safety Switch ?

I have a 2000 Cherokee. It starts in Park when cold. After driving for awhile it will start cutting off and then suddenly restart as if there is an electric problem. I have had to coast to the side of the road or sit at a stoplight on many occasions while trying a restart. There is no connection in Park during this time. I am forced to shift the vehicle into Neutral where the vehicle may or may not restart. The battery is new and strong so I am lucky it allows me to crank repeatedly until I get a restart. Once the vehicle cools, a restart is usually very easy. I have taken the vehicle to a shop but it starts fine when cold and I get the vehicle back with the mechanic telling me he can't find anything wrong and he can't drive the vehicle around all day waiting for the vehicle to shut off. Has anyone else experienced this ?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral Safety Switch

I have the same model Cherkoee with the same problem as far as the switch. Mine will randomly decide not to start from time to time. My solution has been to either jiggle the shifter while in neutral and sometimes it kicks over or to put it in park and rock it backwards a few times and it seems to turn over when it realizes it is in park.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 299 Likes on 248 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by yehafs
I have a 2000 Cherokee. It starts in Park when cold. After driving for awhile it will start cutting off and then suddenly restart as if there is an electric problem. I have had to coast to the side of the road or sit at a stoplight on many occasions while trying a restart. There is no connection in Park during this time. I am forced to shift the vehicle into Neutral where the vehicle may or may not restart. The battery is new and strong so I am lucky it allows me to crank repeatedly until I get a restart. Once the vehicle cools, a restart is usually very easy. I have taken the vehicle to a shop but it starts fine when cold and I get the vehicle back with the mechanic telling me he can't find anything wrong and he can't drive the vehicle around all day waiting for the vehicle to shut off. Has anyone else experienced this ?
Originally Posted by bkmays
I have the same model Cherkoee with the same problem as far as the switch. Mine will randomly decide not to start from time to time. My solution has been to either jiggle the shifter while in neutral and sometimes it kicks over or to put it in park and rock it backwards a few times and it seems to turn over when it realizes it is in park.
The NSS is involved in starting in Neutral or Park (and in bringing on your reverse lights when put in Reverse). Cutting out while driving is not related to a malfunctioning NSS: unable to start in Neutral and/or Park is. The first quote is related to what appears a thermal related issue (occuring when warm). The CPS (Crankshaft, not cam, Position Sensor) could be in play, which can give random occurence of symptoms like cutting out/hesitation/backfire/difficulty cranking, both cold and warm actually.

The second quote is regarding what sometimes helps to start the engine if your NSS is on the way out. Plenty of clean-up your NSS write ups available here.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Like Roler points out,z, like apples and oranges. NSS might keep it from cranking but is not your dieing problem.

Sometime when it's not starting you could depress the little Schrader (tire type), valve on the fuel rail and see if it spurts a little fuel into the rag you are holding there. Normally you should hear the fuel pump run for just a few seconds when you first turn the key to ign. I would do that and check for spark, almost before that light changes!

If un-pluging and re-pluging your CPS makes it start I'd take that as a sign the CPS, (or just its plug), is the problem. Years ago I actually painted my Mom's plug, so she could point at it. "my son says to unplug that and put it back". Has A new one now.

CPS is on the bell housing at about 11:00, (facing forward), with wires coming up to a plug. Pretty easy to change, the second time. First time sucks!