Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cherokee Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Cherokee Electrical

Hey guys, ( I apologize for the long post, just want to make sure I have all the facts present so you guys can help me best)

So recently my jeep was broken in to, stolen, and recently recovered (WOO). In the process the ******* messed up the ignition housing that surrounds the ignition cylinder, forcing me to replace the entire steering column. After going to my local junk yard and finding one that fits (as well as another ignition switch and clockspring), I was able to replace the column and ignition assembly and drive it.

First time driving it after fixing it, the "check gauges" symbol popped up on my dash and I noticed on the battery gauge, the needle was jumping all the way to the positive side (the right side). I pressed the gas pedal, causing the jeep to momentarily mis-fire (at least that's what it felt like) then ALL my gauges shot to the right and then went back to normal. When I initially got the jeep back from the police, my rear windshield wiper blade was missing, which I thought was odd, but I noticed while driving down the road that I could hear the back blade engaging constantly without me pulling the lever on the column. Once back home, I shut the jeep off and then attempted to restart it. Nothing. For a brief second all dome lights and dash lights shot on, but now nothing comes on when you try and start it.

I took the battery out and took it to O'Reileys and how them test the charge and they said it was a dead battery that wasn't holding any charge at all. I know for a fact, that prior to him stealing my jeep's battery was good and had enough charge.

Another thing I noticed, while taking apart the steering column and its components, was that the little plastic rod that sits inside of the ignition actuator was broken off. This is the piece that connects ignition switch and turns when you try and start your jeep.

My question is where do I start? Could the alternator be sucking juice from my battery? I know it wasn't giving me any problems prior to him stealing it and I was driving it for almost a month prior to it being stolen. Could it potentially be the ignition switch where he broke the actuator's plastic piece off (I have the other one from the junk yard)? Other than that, I have no clue where to start. Any help, direction, or hints would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys/gals