Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 4.0 XJ missing on 1 and 6 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 4.0 XJ missing on 1 and 6 cylinder

It started missing out of nowhere and the CEL came on one day so I brought it to a shop. He told me the computer said it was missing on 1 and 6 and said it had a bad coil. I stopped by the auto parts store, brought it home, changed the coil, and reset the CEL. It ran great for a day or two and randomly started missing again. Brought it back to the auto parts store. They used their computer and it said the same exact thing. Bad coil. So I bought new spark plugs while I was there, came home and changed them out, ran great for a day. Now it's doing the same thing. I did notice that it's missing bad when I punch it in reverse and not so much while in drive if that matters. I'm completely lost at what to do next because the computer just keeps saying bad coil. Any idea?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Engine: 4.0

I am having the same problem with mine its a 2000 as well except it is the #6 cylinder. You could try swapping out injectors to see if the problem follows the injectors. I am wondering if the cam position sensor might be going out on mine but I would think it would effect more than one cylinder but might be something worth looking at. Check your fuel pressure also what plugs did you put in yours? I am really getting aggravated with mine it has had this problem for a while now and can't track it down. Good luck to ya.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by IPFK83
I am having the same problem with mine its a 2000 as well except it is the #6 cylinder. You could try swapping out injectors to see if the problem follows the injectors. I am wondering if the cam position sensor might be going out on mine but I would think it would effect more than one cylinder but might be something worth looking at. Check your fuel pressure also what plugs did you put in yours? I am really getting aggravated with mine it has had this problem for a while now and can't track it down. Good luck to ya.
I'll have to try switching the injectors. I just don't understand why it keeps telling me it's the coil when it's obviously not. And why it will run fine for hours and then randomly start missing and go away after 5 minutes. There's no pattern to it. I used Autolite platinum plugs.