Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1st gear lockout messing up

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1st gear lockout messing up

I was driving the other day, and it wasn't shifting from 1st gear. I thought it was the tranny, so I checked the fluid. The fluid was good and clean so I wasn't sure what it was. I have a 1st gear lockout so I could start in the gear it would shift into. I didn't that and it shifted into the gears but not OD, so at that point I clicked the lockout off and bam, OD lol. So, now I'm starting in first, clicking the 1st gear lockout for the second and drive gears and clicking off for OD. I can't click 1st lockout and then back out everytime I drive lol. What can be wrong with it?

During this problem, it's a totally different problem. Sometimes upon speeding up fast I get a sputter and backfires out the exhaust. Plug wires and cap look brand new. This could be numerous things but any XJ guys got ideas? I'm a mechanic but every injected ride has there own things that can go bad. Carbed rides are a lot easier.