Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1st Gear Grinding Noise Automatic Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: L6 4.0
Unhappy 1st Gear Grinding Noise Automatic Trans

Hey guys I'm having an issue with my 2001 XJ Cherokee 2WD 4 speed Automatic. Just this morning a grinding/vibration noise is now happening when I'm in first gear. It doesn't make the noise at idle but as soon as I start accelerating it makes a grinding noise, and when it gets out of first gear it doesn't. I stopped by the parts store and checked my trans fluid and it was almost slightly below the minimum line so I filled it up (a bit too much). I read that it may be the planetary gear but I really don't know enough to diagnose it myself. I searched the forums and a lot of people are saying it could be the planetary gear. Anyone in Houston have experience with changing one if that's the issue?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by nhvider
Hey guys I'm having an issue with my 2001 XJ Cherokee 2WD 4 speed Automatic. Just this morning a grinding/vibration noise is now happening when I'm in first gear. It doesn't make the noise at idle but as soon as I start accelerating it makes a grinding noise, and when it gets out of first gear it doesn't. I stopped by the parts store and checked my trans fluid and it was almost slightly below the minimum line so I filled it up (a bit too much). I read that it may be the planetary gear but I really don't know enough to diagnose it myself. I searched the forums and a lot of people are saying it could be the planetary gear. Anyone in Houston have experience with changing one if that's the issue?
I have this same problem and my transmission fluid is also a little high.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Search how to tighten a loose flywheel. It connects your trans to the torque converter. The bolts are notorious for coming loose. YouTube has some videos on diagnosis and repair. Cheap and easy. A little dirty tho.