Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1st cherokee,need help!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1st cherokee,need help!!!

hey guys im new to the forum. so heres the deal. i bought a 92 cherokee 4.0HO today. when i got it home and tried the four wheel drive i gave it gas let off a little and BAM it just pops out of 4x4 it does this in high and low range. this one doesn't have the part time/awd like some other cherokees i've seen.
also, brand new interstate battery i was driving around for probably an hour? maybe less today it was running fine everything was working and out of no where the radio stops working lights go all weird. has no power went to fill it with gas (gas light was on) shut it off and went to fire it back up and nothing the battery is stone dead. could it be the altenator is not keeping the battery charged???? any help is greatly apprectiated, thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM

Year: 1996

First charge your battery with cables disconnected. second clean all your battery cable connections and all the grounds.

I don't know what to tell you on the transfercase except to lubricate and adjust the linkage.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

What selection options are on the transfer case lever? I'm a little confused because both available t-cases had a part-time option, one of them also had a full-time option. You should never run the t-case on pavement in Part-Time mode, bad things can happen.

As for jumping out of 4wd, might just need the linkage adjusted.

The 'no power' thing could be a lot of stuff. Electrical problems are a PITA to track down, sometimes. Do you have a voltmeter on the instrument cluster? What was it reading? Usually if the alternator is bad you'll either get low volts or a 'VOLT' light if you don't have the gauge. Check the battery connections, they may be all gunked up and need cleaning. How old is the battery? It might just be a bad battery with a dead cell, that'll kill things quick since they act as a short. If you still suspect the alternator, remove it and take it in to autozone, they'll test it for free.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by CodeXJ
What selection options are on the transfer case lever? I'm a little confused because both available t-cases had a part-time option, one of them also had a full-time option. You should never run the t-case on pavement in Part-Time mode, bad things can happen.

As for jumping out of 4wd, might just need the linkage adjusted.

The 'no power' thing could be a lot of stuff. Electrical problems are a PITA to track down, sometimes. Do you have a voltmeter on the instrument cluster? What was it reading? Usually if the alternator is bad you'll either get low volts or a 'VOLT' light if you don't have the gauge. Check the battery connections, they may be all gunked up and need cleaning. How old is the battery? It might just be a bad battery with a dead cell, that'll kill things quick since they act as a short. If you still suspect the alternator, remove it and take it in to autozone, they'll test it for free.
thanks so much for the help guys! the battery is a day old. you guys think its the linkage hey? i will have a look at that. put it up on the hoist and check the liquid in it too. sorry about the confusion its the full time i am reffering to. my t case doesn't have that. only part time.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Your transfer case lever physically moves out of 4hi or 4lo im not understanding, or does it sound like that coming from the transfer case.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jpk543
Your transfer case lever physically moves out of 4hi or 4lo im not understanding, or does it sound like that coming from the transfer case.
correct, the t case shifter itself will move into neutral if its in four low or into 2wd if its in 4 high. and there is a bang from the t case when it pops out
Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

X2 on checking the wires from and to the battery. Even check the ground... the wire that connects to the body from the negative terminal.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM

And if i physically hold the shifter in four wheel drive it wont pop out,going to adjust the linkage today hopefully thathelps
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Id say that sounds like definately like something mechanical.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

normally, doesn't that happen if the tires are different sizes or the front and rear diff ratio is not the same?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by zuk_freak
thanks so much for the help guys! the battery is a day old. you guys think its the linkage hey? i will have a look at that. put it up on the hoist and check the liquid in it too. sorry about the confusion its the full time i am reffering to. my t case doesn't have that. only part time.

It may not be the battery at all...I had a brand new battery too and my XJ cuts out all the time...esp. if I hit a bump while turning left. Spent weeks tracking down the problem and guess what?? Its the connection between the ignition switch in the steering column. Gotta replace the whole damn thing...

Hope that helps at least eliminate somewhere to look. You can tell if thats the problem if your steering wheel moves without you hitting the adjust lever.