Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 XJ wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 XJ wont crank

So I have no idea what's going on. My xj was running fine then I let it sit for a few weeks. The battery was completly dead and it would not recharge, even on a battery charger or jumping it. It would not go above 10 volts. Today I swapped it out with a warranty and threw it in. Everything electrical is working in it but it will not crank at all. It tries to crank for about a half second once every few minutes then stops. What could the issue be? I have a short video that shows what its doing:
Old 01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Model: Cherokee

1. Try wiggling the shift lever or have it in neutral if an automatic. If this allows the engine to start, then you have identified a problem with your "neutral safety switch".

2. Get a voltmeter and look for voltage directly at the starter itself. If you have approximately full battery voltage with the ignition switch in the ON position, you have a starter problem. If you don't have any voltage at the starter, then you have to start working your way back into the engine bay to determine the root cause. Bad cables (starter or battery), bad starter relay, etc.

3. After you get the starting problem figured out, you may want to run a "parasitic draw" test to be sure that something electrical on your XJ isn't drawing down your battery.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Make sure the terminals don't just "look "good", scrape off that crusty layer of oxidation inside until you see shiny lead. I use a Swiss army knife gently, not cutting too much. Surprising and counter intuitive how effective an insulator that micro thin layer can be.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. Try wiggling the shift lever or have it in neutral if an automatic. If this allows the engine to start, then you have identified a problem with your "neutral safety switch".

2. Get a voltmeter and look for voltage directly at the starter itself. If you have approximately full battery voltage with the ignition switch in the ON position, you have a starter problem. If you don't have any voltage at the starter, then you have to start working your way back into the engine bay to determine the root cause. Bad cables (starter or battery), bad starter relay, etc.

3. After you get the starting problem figured out, you may want to run a "parasitic draw" test to be sure that something electrical on your XJ isn't drawing down your battery.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Okay thanks. I tested for the NSS and it wouldnt start with moving the shifter. I'll check for voltage tomorow when its light out. Which terminals on the starter should I use to test?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

It's easy on a Pre 91 Renix to juice the green solenoid wire at the relay to see that the wire/solenoid/starter work.( it cranks). Tom, might there be a relay socket that a guy might juice up on an HO? DJB, note that any bad connection failing to pass current will get warm or hot.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

You can test for resistance across your battery cables and visually check for wear/corrosion. You can even check continuity between terminals to ensure that they haven't frayed and touch each other.

If you remove the starter, then you can take it to O'Reilly's to have it tested. Make sure to visually verify that it moved outward with the sprocket, not just spins when powered. You could test it with the battery provided that you can't make it to a parts shop with a tester. I'd search for ways to clamp/secure it before testing it myself with the car's battery.