Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 1999 overheating problem

ive checked googled and ask around. 1999 Cherokee sport with 4.0 Still unsure. Got the Jeep for free has overheating issue. So I changed the oil, changed the thermostat. Ran fine for a week. Started overheating again, so I flushed the system, changed water pump, another thermostat, and replaced head gasket which wasn’t blown but I thought it was so I just replaced it. Flushed system again and still overheating. Oil is clean but once I start burping the system eventually the coolant will start turning brownish. Is this oil getting in the coolant? Is this mean a cracked head? Cracked block? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Overheating

Originally Posted by Asher00
ive checked googled and ask around. 1999 Cherokee sport with 4.0 Still unsure. Got the Jeep for free has overheating issue. So I changed the oil, changed the thermostat. Ran fine for a week. Started overheating again, so I flushed the system, changed water pump, another thermostat, and replaced head gasket which wasn’t blown but I thought it was so I just replaced it. Flushed system again and still overheating. Oil is clean but once I start burping the system eventually the coolant will start turning brownish. Is this oil getting in the coolant? Is this mean a cracked head? Cracked block? Thanks in advance for the help.
Ill be watching this this thread with interest...The Red Mess I just bought has an overheating problem...Havent started doing all the things you have so far..
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

My first thought is that your radiator is toast. The brown stuff you see may just be corrosion in there clogging up the works.

I had a similar issue on my '99 Sport. Replaced the radiator with OEM replacement, problem immediately solved.

-T.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

If you look at the way the radiator is made for your XJs if a few tubes are plugged you lost about haft the radiators cooling . replace the radiator and see if that changes things . let us know what you do .
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Radiator is probably plugged up with gunk internally. It can literally take 10+ drains and refills of the radiator to clean most of it up. Sometimes the radiator can't be cleaned though.

Fan clutches are a problem point on the 4.0L.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:32 AM

Default Radiator

I have flushed it many times and the water coming out is clean. Still a bad radiator ???
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

I have flushed it many times and the water coming out is clean. Still a bad radiator ???
There still could be chunks of stuff blocking passages in the radiator even though the water comes out clean.

A lot of folks seem to have had success with the cheapo AutoZone/Advance/Spectra radiators. I would just go ahead and replace the radiator since it's relatively inexpensive and you've done all the other stuff.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue with overheating. Would run awesome until parked and idling or going uphill. Chased that gremlin all through my cooling system replacing every part I could .. till the radiator was all that was original.. problem persisted.. spent $85 on the "deluxe" option at pepboys and poof!! problem solved .. seems the radiator should be the first part in the parts cannon for best results, not the last.. hmmph live and learn
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Fan clutch.............

Also, does yours have the fan shroud around the mechanical fan?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Yes it does have fan shroud. How can I check the fan clutch? It comes on....I’ll put a new radiator in it and see what happens
Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

A bad fan clutch will cause an overheating at idle or low speeds/stop-and-go, but normal temperatures during highway driving.
There are folks that will say that you can see if it spins by hand when cold without resistence, but I think that's not a good test. My feeling on the fan clutch is that if it's in question, just replace it. A good quality new one is about $40.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Also radiator is about 2 years old.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM

I assume you flushed it with the thermostat out? Took me about 12gals of distilled water with the thermostat out to make sure it was getting through the system until the water started to run clear. Also flushed the heater core on its own to make sure that ran clear as well. XJ has 240k miles on it when I bought it so unsure of how old my radiator is but now she never overheats. If you've done everything else I would just change out the radiator like others have said.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by spiG
I assume you flushed it with the thermostat out? Took me about 12gals of distilled water with the thermostat out to make sure it was getting through the system until the water started to run clear. Also flushed the heater core on its own to make sure that ran clear as well. XJ has 240k miles on it when I bought it so unsure of how old my radiator is but now she never overheats. If you've done everything else I would just change out the radiator like others have said.

yes did it with the thermostat out......
Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Test and diagnose, don't start throwing parts at it.

Get a test kit for exhaust gasses in the coolant. Then you will know if it's a cracked head or not.

If not, next try a free fix. Dump some liquid laundry detergent or Dawn dishwashing liquid in your radiator, and run it like that for a week. Then flush it again.

Last stop is replacing parts.

Quick Reply: 1999 overheating problem