Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep wont stop overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 Jeep wont stop overheating

Good day

The other day on the way home from work my jeep started overheating I was about 2 miles from home so I limped her to the garage. I left the engine cool off and then took off the radiator cap and to my suprise the coolant was rusty orange not green so I hooked up a hose and started flushing out the coolant system. After everything was cleaned out I put in a new thermostat and new coolant and back to work we go. Everything seemed fine and once a gain on my way home from work the thing overheats. I limped her back to the garage and left everything cool off again and checked the coolant it was still clean looking I checked to make sure the waterpump was circulating and even put in a second thermostat hoping to fix my problem and now things are worse I can make it about 3 miles before the thing is boiling over Where should I go from here. Also the exhaust is clean no smoke or sweet smell
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Dlasure2
Good day

The other day on the way home from work my jeep started overheating I was about 2 miles from home so I limped her to the garage. I left the engine cool off and then took off the radiator cap and to my suprise the coolant was rusty orange not green so I hooked up a hose and started flushing out the coolant system. After everything was cleaned out I put in a new thermostat and new coolant and back to work we go. Everything seemed fine and once a gain on my way home from work the thing overheats. I limped her back to the garage and left everything cool off again and checked the coolant it was still clean looking I checked to make sure the waterpump was circulating and even put in a second thermostat hoping to fix my problem and now things are worse I can make it about 3 miles before the thing is boiling over Where should I go from here. Also the exhaust is clean no smoke or sweet smell
Well, it sounds like either your radiator or fan clutch is shot. Get one of those radiator flush kits, you know the one where you install a T on the water hose and flush the system out with a chemical. You usually put the chemical in and drive for a bit then flush it all out. It could be that the veins in the radiator ar clogged up with junk and it's not being efficient. Other thing to check is your fan clutch, you know, the hotter it gets the tighter it gets and provides more air flow.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:31 PM

I flushed out the radidator and it is now clean and still overheats. Both fans spin the electric and the belt driven one actually they never stop regardless of the temp.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

was there rusted water in your overflow tank??? and why not flush your whole system? are you sure water is flowing through the whole system? have you checked for/burped the air in the system?

imo.....it could be the temp sensor! ....unplug connector and check resistance across sensor.....cold (less than 100 deg should read high resistance)...warm/hot (above 150-180 deg should read low resistance)....can also test cold sensor in hot water for same readings....also, check voltage at connector from ecu (that plugs into temp sensor)...make sure voltage is 12-14 so that ecu receives correct parameter settings...otherwise check sensor wires for chafing/cuts/breaks and battery or alternator and eventually ecu should be checked....but first the temp sensor....good luck!

fyi... for the renix non-H.O. but troubleshooting and data still applicable.... http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm and here for overheating issues... http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Diagnosis.htm

Last edited by kbad; 06-18-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I flushed the entire system engine block and all I used coil clean, we use it at work to clean out steamcleaner coils when they get so rusty that water will not flow. I took off the thermostat housing and looked into the engine and it is clean now. I also took the radiator line off that flows out of the engine and started the vehicle and water flew everywhere so I know it is circulating. I will start checking the wiring thank you for all the help.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blown head gasket/cracked head/cracked cylinder?

Take the radiator cap off.
Start the engine.
Bubbles?
No?....Good
Yes?....Hot compression gas is being forced into the cooling water jacket. That's bad.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldMan
Blown head gasket/cracked head/cracked cylinder?

Take the radiator cap off.
Start the engine.
Bubbles?
No?....Good
Yes?....Hot compression gas is being forced into the cooling water jacket. That's bad.
Anything ever come of this?