Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee - AC Compressor not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Jeep Cherokee - AC Compressor not engaging

Hello,

I have recharged the refrigerant in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee and the gauge showed the refrigerant pressure is in the required level (pressure 40 and the gauge stayed in Blue zone). I bought this Cherokee in Dec 2012. Last summer, since I did't use the vehicle that much, I haven't recharged. So it was out of refrigerant for a long time!

When I was recharging the the A/C compressor clutch started engaging and put cold air out. When I cut the engine off and started back, the clutch was not engaging. After about 30 min, when I started I worked. However , when I cut the engine off and started back, it didn't engage.

When I (very) gently tapped the clutch with a flat head screw driver and a hammer, it started engaging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
SP
Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You can try removing a shim if one is present in the clutch to buy you some time. If the clutch is worn that far it will fail completely eventually. If the A/C system is sound there should never be a reason to "add" refrigerant.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Agreed. I had to remove shims on my clutch a few years ago to cure an intermittent engagement problem. As the clutch plate wears, it won't always engage. Eventually it will wear enough that the clutch needs to be replaced. At that point, there may be enough wear in the compressor/clutch that the entire compressor/clutch should be replaced.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM

Hello All,

MY AC is putting cold air when I start driving. After 15 to 20 minutes, the cold air stops. When I turn the **** to regulatr air (Not AC) and turn it back on to AC mode, it starts putting cold air again.

When outside temperature is too hot, this happens more frequently. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
SP
Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Is the compressor cycling? Your evaporator is freezing up when you have the A/C on recirc. Could be a simple low pressure cycling switch failure.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:15 AM

If you are in a humid climate try turning the temp a little warmer if using max. The condensers run about 34-40 degrees and sometimes will ice over.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokee_Indian
Hello,

I have recharged the refrigerant in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee and the gauge showed the refrigerant pressure is in the required level (pressure 40 and the gauge stayed in Blue zone). I bought this Cherokee in Dec 2012. Last summer, since I did't use the vehicle that much, I haven't recharged. So it was out of refrigerant for a long time!

When I was recharging the the A/C compressor clutch started engaging and put cold air out. When I cut the engine off and started back, the clutch was not engaging. After about 30 min, when I started I worked. However , when I cut the engine off and started back, it didn't engage.

When I (very) gently tapped the clutch with a flat head screw driver and a hammer, it started engaging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
SP
In January of 2012 my 1999 Jeep Cherokee had the same problem. The system was fully charged with Freon and the clutch would engage intermittently. I tapped the clutch and it would work. After reviewing a YouTube video on this subject, I removed the clutch assembly. There were 3 shims riding on the shaft and one was taken off. It was also recommended to lightly sand the backside of the clutch and re-install. My 16 year old son assisted and the entire job took 20 minutes. It has worked fine for 2.5 years.
Good luck. Its an easy fix.