Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee - perfect donor

Old 04-17-2016, 05:35 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1999 Cherokee - perfect donor

Hello. I've got a 1999 Cherokee 4.0 with a cracked block. I'd like to know which donor vehicles (year) are perfect swaps (electronics, etc) assuming I get the entire donor vehicle and can do full vehicle. Would a 2002+ Cherokee engine [full long block with all accesories] with the tuffy "fixed" 0331 head drop right in and plug up and go?? Trying to find the easiest 'complete' swap.

THANKS!
MindEddy is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 AM
  #2  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,995
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by MindEddy View Post
Hello. I've got a 1999 Cherokee 4.0 with a cracked block. I'd like to know which donor vehicles (year) are perfect swaps (electronics, etc) assuming I get the entire donor vehicle and can do full vehicle. Would a 2002+ Cherokee engine [full long block with all accesories] with the tuffy "fixed" 0331 head drop right in and plug up and go?? Trying to find the easiest 'complete' swap.

THANKS!
XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.


XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 AM
  #3  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lost in the wilds of Virginia
Posts: 4,712
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 96 (just purchased) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

It's going to be difficult to find a 2002+ that's compatible, I suspect, since they stopped making the Cherokee in 2001.


The perfect donor is a 1999.
BlueRidgeMark is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.


XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)
Cruiser, thanks for the response. So just to be clear, even though it is a cracked block on my 1999, I'm going for a "complete" engine. This is due to questionable head and other surrounding oddities and bad work.

For example: If I find a 1998 'donor' Jeep Cherokee and pull the complete engine out, would I have any trouble hooking it direct to all the accesories [electronics, wires, connectors] of the 1999? I know the 'block' is the same, just more concerned about it matching up with the dash and computer stuff on a 'complete' swap.

Sorry, there are probably terms here I'm not using correctly, as I'm not near as mechanical as you guys.
MindEddy is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM
  #5  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,995
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by MindEddy View Post
Cruiser, thanks for the response. So just to be clear, even though it is a cracked block on my 1999, I'm going for a "complete" engine. This is due to questionable head and other surrounding oddities and bad work.

For example: If I find a 1998 'donor' Jeep Cherokee and pull the complete engine out, would I have any trouble hooking it direct to all the accesories [electronics, wires, connectors] of the 1999? I know the 'block' is the same, just more concerned about it matching up with the dash and computer stuff on a 'complete' swap.

Sorry, there are probably terms here I'm not using correctly, as I'm not near as mechanical as you guys.
Excellent question.

The way I would do it is get a 91 to 99 engine. Use your distributor, intake and exhaust, flywheel etc.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

I should have known this before I posted. My Jeep Cherokee IS a 1999, but was built in late '98 according to the sticker. Turns out the 0630 head I thought was added later actually came with it. This might change/ease the complexity of dropping a 98 [or other] complete engine in there. I still have a block with a giant crack, but I've got a good "actually manufacture year" for finding a straight swap and not getting the bad head. Right?
MindEddy is offline  
Old 04-17-2016, 10:01 AM
  #7  
::CF Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,995
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by MindEddy View Post
I should have known this before I posted. My Jeep Cherokee IS a 1999, but was built in late '98 according to the sticker. Turns out the 0630 head I thought was added later actually came with it. This might change/ease the complexity of dropping a 98 [or other] complete engine in there. I still have a block with a giant crack, but I've got a good "actually manufacture year" for finding a straight swap and not getting the bad head. Right?
Build date is normal. they were made beginning in June the previous year anyway.

You're in good territory with your vintage 4.0.
2000 and later had the crappy head. Your range of selection is actually quite large.
cruiser54 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Houston Kid
Part Outs
1
08-01-2016 03:16 PM
kevintweet
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
1
04-07-2016 12:22 PM
JohnWilkesBootsyCollins
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
2
04-07-2016 08:19 AM
DrShaggford
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
23
03-24-2016 12:36 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Cherokee - perfect donor


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: