Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee knock/rattle issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1999 Cherokee knock/rattle issue

Hey guys, I would like to see if i can get some insight into an issue I'm having. I'm getting some sort of a rattle/knock when driving over 70mph. I think time has something to do with it because I jumped on to the freeway and immediately hit 70 to see if I will get the noise, and nothing, it only happens after I've been driving on the freeway for about 15 minutes. I think it intensifies with RPM's but I haven't played around with the noise too much to find any other patterns. But this only happens at 70mph and up, once i get off the freeway, the noise goes away.

Backstory that might have something to do with it - A couple of weeks ago I went kayaking and drove over a graded dirt road that was about 1/2 mile long, maybe it shook something loose?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, it's a 1999 XJ 2WD with 208K miles.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Can you try to get a video of it? It's difficult to try and guess with this info.

If not, is is coming from the back of the vehicle or the front?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:25 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Hey Corey,

Yeah next time I hear it I'll record it and post it, I expected it to rattle today but no noise at all. I'm wondering if it was some bolt or something that got rattled loose on the dirt road, and eventually fell off on the freeway. I'm going to put it up on a lift and double check everything this weekend.