Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 XJ Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 XJ Issues

Hey gang. Go this jeep back in Oct, stock 4.0 and this forum has been a big help for troubleshooting. I got a new distributor since when I was replacing the cap one of the screws broke off in the distributor housing and while trying to get it out with a small drill bit part of it broke so a new screw has very lil to anchor itself to. So I bought a new distributor and the jeep starting misfiring on almost all cylinders it was wierd and MIL light kept blinking. After two hrs of troubleshooting I slapped the old one back and it worked fine, though now it idle a lil rough(prob need to go in there and clean everything since I was handling the rotor with dirty hands and what not) Any ideas why the new distributor would be causing the engine to misfire? I chalked it up to a faulty part. Any thoughts? - This was fixed with a new Dizzy so it must of been the part, still getting a few minor surges but I figure that could just be the old engine or the TPS. Moral of the story, no more slight misfires.

Another issue is with low mpgs. I knew it had a bad cat when I 1st got it, was getting an avg of 11 mpgs. now with new cat it went up close to 13mpgs. With new cat I got new O2 sensors(thought they were from ebay). currently looking for vacuum leaks, thinking about replacing the throttle body's gasket. Not getting any CEL so im curious if it could be a computer not set to give the right F/A mixture.

Figured it be nice to say what all I've replaced so far:
spark plugs & cables
distrib cap & rotor
New Dizzy
MAP
TPS
O2 Sensors (Up/down)
CAT, muffler, tailpite
air filter

Last edited by Obsidian8; 04-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Getting a slight misfire on Cyl #6. Using Torque app for my phone and it has a pending p306 when I drive jeep for more than 20mins or so. I've re-regapped plug, looked at it, not wet nor does it smell like gas. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that someone had an issue with misfires and it was that the dizzy was off by one tooth or something like that but I've trouble shot for that. NOt getting a p206 so I havent swapped injectors yet, but maybe I should just to rule that out. Gonna check for spark at the plug again, regap it and maybe tinker with the dizzy tomorrow.