Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Sport Wire Harness Pin Connectors & Wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 Sport Wire Harness Pin Connectors & Wire

I have a pretty serious electrical issue going on with my 98 Sport. Went into drivers side rear panel to connect trailer module but there was already one there. Previous owner had cut off the connector to trailer and stuffed wires down into 1/4 panel. Pin connector for drivers side lights, etc was roasted, it just crumbled in my hands. Somehow everything had worked for 4 years prior to my getting in there and I don't know how. I had tried a few cobble rigs to get some lights but had no real success with meter and test light except for blowing a lot of parking light fuses. So I stopped doing anything before I really screwed something up. I'm guessing this connector also relates to other components other than tail light. The open connector is also creating a dead draw on my battery now.
I have a couple of concerns 1) Can anyone see where this is going to fry something like my CPU if I drive it this way. I checked all the MAXI's and all were fine. After getting the battery charged up it was running rough after starting but cleared up in a few minutes and ran fine. It is my DD so I have to use it.
2) I need to find replacements for the 2 connectors and solder them in. However, if the color codes on the replacement leads are not comparable to my existing color codes, I'm doomed. So, would anyone know if certain years would be a compatible wiring harness to my 1998 Sport. I'm pretty sure pre 98 would not be.
We have no scrap yards here in the mountains everything gets hauled to the cities so I have to try and find a donor on CL or CF.
Here is the breakdown:

Female Connector-5 Wire
Green/Red Stripe
Black
Brown
Brown/Green Stripe
White/Gold Stripe

Male Connector-8 Wire
Green/Red Stripe
White/Brown Stripe
Brown/Green Stripe
Red/Orange Stripe
Black-Slightly heavier gauge
Brown/White Stripe
Brown/Yellow Stripe
Brown/Red Stripe

I am in poor shape physically to say the least and can not possibly work back to the factory splice. So there's the predicament. I don't want to do any damage to anything more plus I have to find a couple of these connectors with a length of working on each which matches my existing wire colors. But hope to get some idea of donor years that should match up.
I really appreciate this site and all of every ones help, so thanks everybody!
jplug2007
Curt
Attached Thumbnails 1998 Sport Wire Harness Pin Connectors & Wire-dscn3129.jpg   1998 Sport Wire Harness Pin Connectors & Wire-dscn3132.jpg   1998 Sport Wire Harness Pin Connectors & Wire-dscn1329.jpg  
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

97 and up should be compatible, I think. It was 97 that brought in a significant body style change. Earlier might even be compatible, but I'm not sure about that.

Let me take a look at my 94 tomorrow and see what it looks like. It's a parts car now, and the upholstery is already out of the way there, so it's no big deal to look.

If the colors match up, I'll take some photos and you can see if it will work for you. If so, I can whack off a chunk of wiring harness and send it to you for shipping costs. Should be cheap.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 07-09-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM

I'd appreciate that. I have a friend who is near a Pick N Pull about 4 hours from me and I guess they have a 99 there so I think he can get what I need. But it would be nice to know what's in your 94.
Thanks
Jplug2007
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Here are some pics. It's got a trailer light converter spliced into it, so it's a bit difficult to see what's what. If you're at all interested, I'll pull those splices off tomorrow and get better pics. I will keep the converter, so I'll be pulling the splices eventually anyway.

Whatcha tink?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

im having good luck with colors from the cheep haynes manual. even shows color of the plastic connector shells. its been great for me.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

The problem with the Haynes/Chilton is that they are right just often enough to lull you into a false sense of security.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i have plowed thru the endless pages of good old section "8w" in the factory manual. nothing missing thats for sure if you have all day to get it. ive used it for the details on connector colors and pinout and location info when needed.
when i need quick answers on what goes where, i leaf thru a few pages of haynes and i always find it, in a few minutes. its good and accurate if you try it.
otherwise scroll endlessly thru good old section "8w"!!!
each has its uses...

Last edited by nujeepguy; 07-11-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

I've tried Haynes and Chiltons. I'll stick to the service manual. It's a lot more accurate.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Yeah, I have the factory service manual and pretty much need to be an electrical engineer to understand it. I think I will grab a Chiltons.
Thanks
JPLUG2007