Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Jeep 4.0 Studder/Popping until warmed up?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0HO
Default 1998 Jeep 4.0 Studder/Popping until warmed up?

Owned the jeep for almost a year now. Has done it ever since. I have to prime the fuel pump 3 times for it to start. If i dont itll just crank for about 5 seconds, ill turn it off, turn the key again and shell fire right up. If the jeep is cold about 30 seconds until she starts studdering during idle. If I start it up and drive it, 30 seconds later it will studder and hesitate. Pop aswell if i keep my foot on the gas. If I release the throttle any amount and give it gas again itll stop acting up but 5-10 seconds later it will do it again. If the truck is atleast more than a 1/4 of the way warmed up it will studder and hesitate but it will keep doing it even if I release the throttle and give it gas again. It only ever does this until its around operating temp. Once its warmed up it stops doing it. Ive only ever had it do it to me once and that was when I had been offroading it all day but it quickly went away. Motor was just rebuilt and was given a tune up aswell. Could it possibly be the fuel flow back valve has gone bad and all the gas in the lines drains back into the tank? I dont see how though because once its warmed up its fine. Even if it was that it should still run right once the fuel makes it back to the fuel rail, right? Please help
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1. Ever seen a check engine light? If so, you must pull codes for clues/guidance.

2. TEST your fuel pressure. Must be done with a fuel pressure gauge which can often be rented from your local parts store, call around. For a 98, you should have 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.