Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Gauges problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 Gauges problem?

Hi, Rich is the name from the UK i'm new to this forum but have been studing the site for a answer last few days but can't find a direct answer to my problem.
My gauges stopped working on my 98 2.5litre sport petrol with lpg at the weekend, i did wipe the dash down and the door panels including switchs with polish but didn't soak it!
Anyway, drove it next day and noticed airbag light on and no gauges working including tacho and speed? But found if i keep flicking the door lock button on my door they (gauges) start to work but after a few seconds the tacho and speed stop and other gauges sit at where the was?? Can be a few flicks of switch (10-20) before they start working again for a bit but when they do work and i hold switch the all keep working. Also noticed the mirror adjuster buttons are only lighting up when i'm flicking or holding button even though all buttons on door panel work fine including door locking!
So i've checked connections behind gauges and there spotless! So any ideas on what i should spend my money on, either door panel switchs or thing in behind dome light!
Any advice would be great, it is a UK spec Cherokee if that helps?

Cheers Rich
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Still got the above problem but now if i keep my finger on the door lock button to kep gauges working the horn goes off, then it keeps going off everytime i push the door lock???
Cheers Rich
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. I can't help ya. something's touching somewhere that's not supposed to, that's for sure. GL with it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Sorted The Problem Now, Awesome!!!!

Sorted problem last week and all working fine now.
So thought i better put it up here, it is annoying when you find a problem on forums but hardly see results!!!
Last week my central locking and immobilizer packed up as well as gauges, car still worked but didn't have to press key Fob to demobiliz it!!!!
So pulled down centre head consule as i thought central looking stuff maybe up there, didn't see it though! Just as i was putting consule back up i saw a small bunch of cables heading towards rear, above the headlining in the cut outs, as soon as i pulled them down, Ping, everything started to work as it should. Gauges, locking the lot!!!! On the end of cables was a plug that didn't go anywhere but was all green and furry and must of been shorting out on roof! So cleaned it up and taped it up and put it all back! KOOL problem solved FOC!!!!!!!

Cheers Rich