Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 cherokee sputtering and stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 cherokee sputtering and stalling?

My jeep is sputtering all the time now and once in awhile it will stall. When i press the gas it jerks and sputters back and forth like it trying to go but cant. when it does it i watch the rpm and they drop when i dont even let go of the gas. Like it sounds like the engine isnt getting gas or something. people told me it could be plug and wires. any ideas guys?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM

This can happen if the spark isnt igniting the fuel. Does the Jeep smell like fuel? That can help tell you if your engine is just getting gas and no spark to ignite it.

Are you also having hard starts? That can be a fuel pump really. When was the last time you did a tune up to it?

To verify its the pump go get some starting fluid and grab a friend. Open the air intake box and have your friend sit in the jeep and crankk it while you spray the starting fluid down the air intake. If it starts with no problems its fuel related.

Happen to me before and this is how i found out it was the fuel pump ( fathers chevy suburban )

oh and check the distributor if they have one im not sure lol this use to happen to me on my chevy s10
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by rebel
My jeep is sputtering all the time now and once in awhile it will stall. When i press the gas it jerks and sputters back and forth like it trying to go but cant. when it does it i watch the rpm and they drop when i dont even let go of the gas. Like it sounds like the engine isnt getting gas or something. people told me it could be plug and wires. any ideas guys?

How old is the Cat
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM

im not sure how old the cat is. Its the same one that been on it since i bought it and i had it for around 2 years now. It starts fine, it just does it when i give it a litlle gas, i gotta stomp on the pedal to make it stop.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM

im not able to drive it anymore because its doing it to often. when i change it from park to drive its stalling now. I dont know what it is
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

hey Rebel....any codes? cel? .....have you purged the egr - it's a solenoid/diaphram on the firewall in front of the passenger with an electrical connection and two vacuum hoses....it controls vacuum to ensure all gasses are burnt up in exhaust/intake system.... one end of the two hoses goes to your intake manifold just below the throttle body on the driver's side....to simply test if it is a cause, unplug it at the intake manifold - the manifold should suck in the air, if you plug it up, it will stall....to purge, just spray maf/tb cleaner down all the tubes and into you intake manifold, ensure not to choke it up...good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.0 straight six

My jeep was sputtering and it ended up being the upstream O2 sensor.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM

So i did a tune up on it (rotor, dist cap, wires, and plugs). The car seem worse. its bucking and sputtering, stalling, takes couple time to turn over now, sputters or a type of bucking. im not sure what it could be any help would be appreciated
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM

the check engine also came on after we did the tune up
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Year: 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

what code(s) did it throw? how is your vacuum system? have you purged the 'egr' - vacuum solenoid/diaphragm i mentioned above?!?!?

Last edited by kbad; 07-08-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM

im not a mechanic at all, so the codes i have no clue how to check them, also how would i check the vacum system. I did notice it only does this when the jeep gets hot, when i start it up first thing in the morning it will run fine but as soon as it warms up it does it non stop
Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

helppppp!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Go to your local autozone and ask them to read you the codes on your jeep as long as its 1996 and above so you ok on that. They will read it for you and show you what they mean.

After doing the tune up it shows engine light on? I had this happen something is not working well with the other.

This could be a bad fuel pump....By the way your saying. Does it have any power when you stomp on the gas? That could be a clogged cat or a bad fuel pump if it doesn't.

Take it to a mechanic if you can get a compression test and a fuel pressure test etc. Idk how much they are and if you got a friend in the buisness it can help

But yeah thats my theory
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

ok, after it warms up it only does this. i would check and plan on replacing your temp sensor that feeds the ecu, not hte one that feeds the gauge.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

If you can't keep it running long enough to get to the parts store and have them read the codes, buy a reader. For the money you'll waste buying parts that you don't need, you could buy one and actually fix the car.

Quick Reply: 1998 cherokee sputtering and stalling?