Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Cherokee Gauge Cluster HELP!!'

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 Cherokee Gauge Cluster HELP!!'

So a little while back my gauges decided to stop working. This includes all of my gauges, warning lights, and odometer in the cluster however it is still illuminated when I turn my lights on. Eventually after a few days it started working again. Lately it has only been happening when it rains which lead me to believe that I had a leak somewhere along my windshield but after inspecting the wiring I haven't found anything that would short nor have I found any leaks along my windshield. When I turn my headlights on, every once in awhile you can hear some clicking sounds and see some of the gauges jumping a bit but when the lights are off there is no clicking. Rarely will everything start working again but when it does it only does so for a few minutes. I'm out of ideas and any ideas would be welcome. I'm hoping to take the jeep with me back up to school in a few days but if I don't have a speedometer or gas gauge that might be a bit difficult. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The next time the instrument cluster goes dead hit the top of the dash, with your fist, above the instrument cluster and see if it comes back to life.

If it does, you may have poor connection at the instrument cluster connector(s).

A common problem that has been resolved by removing the instrument cluster and cleaning the connections with electronic cleaner and reassembling.

Others have twisted the pins for the connectors a tiny bit to help them make better contact with their respective pin cavities.

Chrysler has a TSB that addresses this. A kit is sold that replaces the cluster C2 connector.