Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 4.0 sport no crank then no power. power resets in a few minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 4.0 sport no crank then no power. power resets in a few minutes.

Greetings all,
This is a stock 1998 cherokee sport with a 4.0. I was having some electrical issues a few weeks back which in my changing of the cam sensor and then the alternator (which was the culprit). The jeep ran fine for a week or so and now won't start. The battery is fully charged. When I turn the key, I hear one click and then the power goes out. The power comes back on within a few minutes but the clock has been reset as if I had disconnected the battery, I tried swapping relays in the PDC but same symptoms. There are no codes when I attach a reader so this always dependable friend just sits in my driveway. I could use some direction. I do have the 3 inch thick shop manual but could use some ideas!!!!

Last edited by gloinson; 10-29-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Start by cleaning all of the grounding points. Give that a try and let us know if it helps. If not we can work from there. One bad ground can cause a number of problems including a starting problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

I tried hooking up a jumper cable from the neg battery terminal to frame ground and the car started. The cables from neg battery ground needed to be cleaned ( and probably replaced but I need to drive there to do that). So my old reliable buddy is up and running.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by gloinson
I tried hooking up a jumper cable from the neg battery terminal to frame ground and the car started. The cables from neg battery ground needed to be cleaned ( and probably replaced but I need to drive there to do that). So my old reliable buddy is up and running.
Like I mentioned you need to clean ALL of the ground points and not just the battery. You also have one at the oil dipstick, Battery to the fender, rear of the head to the firewall, At you coil and if your starter is covered with oil remove it and clean it up make sure to clean where it mounts to the block since that is the ground for the starter. When you clean them use a wire brush or sand paper to make sure that they are nice and shinny.