Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee problems

Frequent reader, 1st time posting. Just bought a 1996 Cherokee 4.0L Auto with 151K. Drove it home and around town and put 191 miles on it with no problems. My son (its his) took to the muffler shop to have new muffler installed, cat was left on jeep and came home no problems. Changed engine oil, filter, and air filter. Jeep had alot of crud under and around engine, sprayed degreaser around and then washed with hose. 15 minutes later, drove jeep into town and once it got to operating temp, it started missing and would not shift gears. If you let off the gas to let it shift it would die, shift into neutral, start jeep and then shift into drive, still would not shift. Pulled over on side of road, put in park and then in drive and then it would drive but would not shift into 2nd or higher. Once engine cools down, it drives fine until it heats up again. initially thought overheating but shifting problem occurs after 210 and before we reach 230 -240 range. Any suggestions would be great!!! I had a 95 wrangler that was doing this and it turned out to be the radiator. This thing has a new radiator, t stat, and temp sensor already..
..I'm stumped
Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Gotta be careful with a hose underhood on an XJ, sensors dont fare well with water.

I'd rule out water in a connector as it's not a constant issue, might be a good idea to open/clean and fill with dielectric grease anyway.

TPS is the usual culprit with water.. it's only $35 or so but i'm not sure a bad one would cause your symptoms. Maybe someone else will chime in. I'd just replace it anyway to have a maintenance guideline on it.

Start a maint log on this vehicle.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had covered the dist cap but didn't think anything else was that sensitive....well live and learn...I just checked the computer and i got three code in there. 1st was a 12 because i discoed the battery, 2nd was a 24 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (whatya know), and a 55 end of codes. I will get one of these I guess at the AutoZone and replace tomorrow. The next question is, The Haynes manual says that I should have it adjusted by "dealer service department". Whats there to adjust?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP OVERLANDXJ YOUDA MAN!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

There are no TPS adjustments needed on an OBDI or OBDII 4.0l, just the early Renix era.