Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee: do I need to jack up car to replace steering parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee: do I need to jack up car to replace steering parts?

I've asked this question once before,but it seems the people that answers it misinterpreted what I meant,so even if this makes me look like a moronic fool,I still need to know.

I have a 1996 Cherokee 4.0 that needs tie rod ends,drag link,track bar,and steering stabilizer to be replaced which I have to do. I need to know if I have to jack up the front end,as in using a floor jack to lift front wheels off the ground,in order to replace the parts listed above. I have no issue actually getting to the parts with it on the ground,but I don't know if I need the suspension decomposed in order to loosen stuff and get things set to the correct length.

I'm at odds over this cause a normal shop would do it with that car in the air,but when you get an alignment done they do it with the car on the ground. So what do you recommend?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Should be 100% doable with the vehicle on the ground. However, up in the air allows for more headroom which is why most shops do it that way. Less back and neck strain. Should you need a breaker bar you can put more torque on it so again, up in the air helps. If you have jackstands, use them. Do you have a pitman arm puller or a pickle fork, or an impact? PB Blaster, or even Kroil? Sometimes stuff just wont come off without them. And dont forget the wrap around safety goggles. Eyes dont like stuff in them.

Look for BleepinJeep on Youtube. Or just type in 'Cherokee' followed by whatever part you are looking to replace. Lots of good stuff out there.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 07-21-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 242Ci

You would have more room to work on if you place the vehicle in jackstands and remove the tires.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Should be 100% doable with the vehicle on the ground. However, up in the air allows for more headroom which is why most shops do it that way. Less back and neck strain. Should you need a breaker bar you can put more torque on it so again, up in the air helps. If you have jackstands, use them. Do you have a pitman arm puller or a pickle fork, or an impact? PB Blaster, or even Kroil? Sometimes stuff just wont come off without them. And dont forget the wrap around safety goggles. Eyes dont like stuff in them.

Look for BleepinJeep on Youtube. Or just type in 'Cherokee' followed by whatever part you are looking to replace. Lots of good stuff out there.
Ok I think you convinced me to jack it up haha. Thank you for the clear answer. I have a pickle fork,penetrating oil,and a breaker bar. I'd like to have an impact,but I don't have the money. I'll have to make do with hand tools and elbow grease.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by petejeep95
You would have more room to work on if you place the vehicle in jackstands and remove the tires.
Ok man thank you!