Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 jeep cherokee country voltage drop when heater and headlights are on

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 jeep cherokee country voltage drop when heater and headlights are on

Hi I'm new to this website. Hope I can get some help. I have a 1995 jeep cherokee country with 210,000 miles that I've owned for 13 yrs now. I am having a very anoyying and frustrating voltage drop of about 2 volts when I have my heat and headlights on at the same time and then continues to drop. I've changed and checked everything I could think of and it still does it. It's fine when I first start it. Reads just above 14 volts where it's always been but after a little while it starts to drop slowly. If I turn my heat on it drops more then if I have my headlights on it really dumps. If I turn everything off it comes back up some but not where it usually was. I have a new 880 CCA battery and 200 amp alternator. Gutted the interior and checked all wires. Checked all fuses and replaced all relays I could find. Cleaned what grounds I could find inside and under the hood. Bought a new headlight wiring harness with relays and replaced the blower motor and the volt gauge still drops. The only after market stuff I have on the car is my 800 watt amp for my stereo, a 32" Cree led light bar and my auxiliary fan on a manual switch inside my jeep. I'm about to rip out what little hair I have left. Can someone please help me. And yes I've had the battery and alternator checked. Said both were working fine and no codes popped up either. What could still be causing the voltage loss? Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Last edited by ChrisJames; 11-10-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Ever done a ground refreshing? Sounds to me like one has rotted away.

BTW this is more an OEM Tech question than pertaining to actual electronics.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Ever done a ground refreshing? Sounds to me like one has rotted away.

BTW this is more an OEM Tech question than pertaining to actual electronics.
I still have all the original ground wires under the hood. Maybe I'll try that but when I had the battery and the alternator tested they tested fine. Yeah I didn't realize that till after I posted this. I did post this again in the OEM Tech section. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ChrisJames
I still have all the original ground wires under the hood. Maybe I'll try that but when I had the battery and the alternator tested they tested fine.

That won't show a ground problem, and most shops have no clue about ground issues.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

"having" them is usually the problem lol, I'm not sure where you are but corrosion and vibration kill everything.

Now that I'm not on my phone I found this a little easier. It's written to the previous model of XJ, but all of the concepts - and some of the locations - are the same. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/ See posts concerning ground and connector refreshing. Hopefully the issue is not inside the cab, but maybe the headlight grounds.

All kinds of interesting things happen in these vehicles when grounds aren't right. My personal favourite, in my 1999, is that when a little ground under the front passenger seat is disconnected, the right turn signal flashes the overhead light.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 PM

"having" them is usually the problem lol, I'm not sure where you are but corrosion and vibration kill everything.

Now that I'm not on my phone I found this a little easier. It's written to the previous model of XJ, but all of the concepts - and some of the locations - are the same. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/ See posts concerning ground and connector refreshing. Hopefully the issue is not inside the cab, but maybe the headlight grounds.

All kinds of interesting things happen in these vehicles when grounds aren't right. My personal favourite, in my 1999, is that when a little ground under the front passenger seat is disconnected, the right turn signal flashes the overhead light.
I'm in PA. Wow there is alot I have to check. Didn't realize there was that many grounds hidden. Guess when I have a nice weekend I know what I'm doing. Thank you very much.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

My personal favourite, in my 1999, is that when a little ground under the front passenger seat is disconnected, the right turn signal flashes the overhead light.

That's just classic!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Others on here know much more than I about XJ wiring, so listen to them when the chime in.

However, keep this in mind: a voltage drop such as you're seeing will occur when there is a large current load. It could be an actual load - or it could be a short. Have you checked your headlight switch?

My first inclinations would be a short, a faulty voltage regulator, or bad battery...though you say it's new.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Hi I'm new to this website. Hope I can get some help. I have a 1995 jeep cherokee country with 210,000 miles that I've owned for 13 yrs now. I am having a very anoyying and frustrating voltage drop of about 2 volts when I have my heat and headlights on at the same time and then continues to drop. I've changed and checked everything I could think of and it still does it. It's fine when I first start it. Reads just above 14 volts where it's always been but after a little while it starts to drop slowly. If I turn my heat on it drops more then if I have my headlights on it really dumps. If I turn everything off it comes back up some but not where it usually was. I have a new 880 CCA battery and 200 amp high output alternator. Gutted the interior and checked all wires. Checked all fuses and replaced all relays I could find. Cleaned what grounds I could find inside and under the hood. Bought a new headlight wiring harness with relays and replaced the blower motor and the volt gauge still drops. The only after market stuff I have on the car is my 800 watt amp for my stereo, a 32" Cree led light bar and my auxiliary fan on a manual switch inside my jeep all on fuses. I'm about to rip out what little hair I have left. And yes I've had the battery and alternator checked. Said both were working fine and no codes popped up either. What could still be causing this voltage loss? Can someone please help? I don't know what to do. Thanks.
Dont think I noticed it in your post, you did upgrade ALL of you wiring to be able to handle the 200Amp alternator. Plus, you got it load tested. Is it actually putting amperage out. Can it handle the demand.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
Others on here know much more than I about XJ wiring, so listen to them when the chime in.

However, keep this in mind: a voltage drop such as you're seeing will occur when there is a large current load. It could be an actual load - or it could be a short. Have you checked your headlight switch?

My first inclinations would be a short, a faulty voltage regulator, or bad battery...though you say it's new.
Yeah I replaced the headlight switch also. I changed so much stuff it's not funny. Thus explaining the frustration.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Yeah I replaced the headlight switch also. I changed so much stuff it's not funny. Thus explaining the frustration.
Just to confirm. What size wire did you run for your new setup
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Dont think I noticed it in your post, you did upgrade ALL of you wiring to be able to handle the 200Amp alternator. Plus, you got it load tested. Is it actually putting amperage out. Can it handle the demand.
Actually I didn't upgrade any wires. It's still all the stock wires from the stock alternator. A new 4 gauge battery wire came with the alternator but I wasn't sure if I should run that directly from the alternator to the battery or if there was another way I should hook it up. But non of the ground wires were upgraded. Should I use bigger wire for the grounds and how would I run that new power cable for the alternator?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Just to confirm. What size wire did you run for your new setup
I am still using all the stock wires on the alternator but with my light bar and auxiliary fan have all new wiring with fuses and the new headlight wiring harness is connected to the stock main wiring harness for the jeep. And also I had to cut of the plug and used those tube krimp wire connectors that the headlight wire harness plugged into the main harness cause the plug was so badly corroded and the wires were actually breaking out. So the connection is all secure now.

Last edited by ChrisJames; 11-11-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:27 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Actually I didn't upgrade any wires. It's still all the stock wires from the stock alternator. A new 4 gauge battery wire came with the alternator but I wasn't sure if I should run that directly from the alternator to the battery or if there was another way I should hook it up. But non of the ground wires were upgraded. Should I use bigger wire for the grounds and how would I run that new power cable for the alternator?
You need to upgrade your cables. Shoulda been done before the alternator.

www.kelleyswip.com
Old 11-11-2015, 06:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Chris, you need to upgrade your cables.

Quick Reply: 1995 jeep cherokee country voltage drop when heater and headlights are on